Going from 70amp to 130amp alternator.?

I have a brand new 130amp alternator for a 2001 civic with a big amp and stuff but i never put it in. And now my 2005 civics alternator just took a sh!t on me. But its all stock and definitely doesnt need the extra amps. But seeing as its the one i have on hand ive decided to put it in and run a 2awg wire from it to the pos side of the battery as a precaution because i would do the same on my other civic. Do you think i would have any problems and or issues using this Beast of a alternator in this car?

Favorite Answer

There won't be any problems and you'll be prepared for any future needs up to that power level.

The stock wiring doesn't need replacing. Just put the alternator in.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

As long as it has the exact same dimensions, mounts, terminals and an identical pulley, it should work.  The voltage regulator will only put out the amps that the car needs.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Dan

Yeah, you will probably have problems. Do the connections fit your new (older) alternator? Does the mounting bracket fit? Does the belt match the pulley? Why in the world would you use 2 awg wire? The connection to the battery is very short and that size of wire is likely to fatigue the connector on the alternator just from transmitted engine vibration, it was only designed for 12 awg.