is there a difference between burned and burnt?

if I say I burnt some cookies or I burned some cookies, they both mean the same, past tense of burn.

I think you are off by time. You use the word burned when it happens. Instead of saying I just burned the cookies. You say I burned the cookies. Meaning while you are cooking, you burned the meal.  But when you say I burnt the meal you mean in the past. like 10 mins ago, or longer.  But even though that burned refers to burning something now, some people will use it the same way as burnt. And most people will understand using either word. I burned the toast, or I burnt the toast. 

• Cathy

burnt is an adjective.  burned in a verb

Either way the cookies are not much use now. Burnt is more usual for the past tense.

burnt is an adjective that describes the cookies after your past tense verb [burned] has acted on them

In English the past perfect tense is usually formed with -ed.  But there are some verbs where it is formed with -t and burn is one of them.  The past perfect tense of burn is 'burnt'.

There are a number of verbs that follow the -t rule rule; learn - learnt, build - built, deal - dealt.  'burned' is not English.  I believe they use that spelling in American.

Source(s): I'm English

They both mean the exact same thing. Burnt tends to be used more in the UK than in other English-speaking countries. It's the same with spelled and spelt, dreamed and dreamt. Yes, people may be more likely to say 'burnt toast' than 'burned toast', but they both mean the same thing. Which one to use is a matter of personal preference or style or what you grew up hearing used.

Burned is an action. Burnt is a state. I burned the cookies. The cookies are burnt.

• Lôn

I burned the cakes accidentally.

These cakes are burnt .

It's similar to the difference between went and gone.

He went to work today.

He has gone away for a week.

'He has went' is wrong.

'Burned' is the usual past tense of 'burn', but 'burnt' is common in many contexts when the past participle is used as an adjective ("burnt toast"). Both are acceptable forms

Source(s): google search

you burned

I burnt