Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Cops give me anxiety?

I always have negative thoughts of people and things because I don't trust people. But I was driving around with my mom when we passed a cop and for some reason my heart started racing to the point I didn't feel good. My mind started racing I was thinking things like, "hes coming for you", "he knows", "hes going to shoot you." And I started to look all around me thinking he was coming near but I didn't see him so a few minutes later my heart calmed down. What do the cops cause me anxiety or something? My heart starts racing like this from thoughts like this multiple times a week.

Yes, chronic anxiety and ‘hyper vigilance’ are problems for many people in this country nowadays. As is the phenomenon of mentally unstable police officers. At least you are wise enough to talk about it. Other people deal with similar issues. Including a certain percentage of police officers, I imagine. However, ‘officers of the law’ do not generally make their mental health issues known because doing so would not be appreciated by their fellow police officers or supervisors. So they keep such issues under wraps until

they surface in some tragic way and somebody ends up getting brutalized or shot.  Usually someone other than themselves, although on occasion they are the victims as well. Of shootings, anyway. Not so much brutality...So it’s not surprising you have these ‘episodes’. All these elements you fit together well and your perceptions may be ‘heightened’, but not at all unreasonable.

Are you guilty of something or do you fear authority?

I feel the same way.

• martin

You must have had a traumatic experience in the past, in which you saw or heard a story of a police officer killing or hurting someone you know or someone in a story, with whom you identify.

i would stop being so paranoid about them, theyre only here to help

Grow up and get a life

Stop breaking the law.