Why would drinking wine before bed cause insomnia? I have been drinking at night for years with no problem sleeping.?

I doubt it, if you're not all drunk when you go to bed. A glass of wine is supposed to be good for a person. But being drunk disrupts our sleep

• CB

Red wine is the worst for making sleep not happen - or going to sleep then waking up a couple hours later and not going back to sleep for many hours. Not drinking wine - problem solved. 

You can do something harmful for a long time without noticing what it's doing. Then suddenly it becomes noticeable. It was doing the same thing all along...it just took a while for the damage to reach the point of noticeability.

It seems to me that you do not understand what insomnia is. Were you diagnosed with insomnia? Just cuz you weren't able to sleep for one night doesn't mean you have insomnia