Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsMy Yahoo · 3 months ago

remember back when cars had a gas tank in the trunk?

you had to open up your trunk in the old cars and move your stuff before the old dude could filler up for you at the fillin station

this was only 30 yrs ago

how old are you people? 9??? weird...

Just about as old as you're going to be in the not too distant future. I'm no spring chicken, but I've NEVER driven a car with the gas tank in the trunk. You need a better class of friends!!!

time goes by so quickly i guess .

I came up in the '80s and '90s. I don't remember seeing ANY cars like the ones you described.

I won a 1964 220Sb and the filler cap is in the Back of the car not the sides the 1949 Ford defect was on the side

the 1958 peugeot filler was behind the Tail lights

How far back and which Country are you talking about

I don't remember gas tanks ever being in the trunk except for the emergency gas tanks which were portable and completely separate from the gas tanks that powered the car.  I do remember the Ford Pinto that had gas tanks near the rear of the car and were the cause of many explosions.

:-)

• audrey

I'm 72 and I've never seen that!

• well maybe you just haven't seen everything as you think you have lady

• Carson

I've owned a lot of old cars and trucks. From a 40 ford coupe, 50s and up trucks cars. In an American built car have I never seen a fuel tank in a trunk. Even Model T had an external fuel tank.

Fuel tanks are vented so they flow. If they were in a trunk the fumes would enter the cabin intoxicating the driver and passengers. That would eventually lead to death by wreck or asphyxiation.

• ?

They haven't done that since the 60s. Aside from the inconvenience, it was a huge hazard, since there was no firewall between the tank and the passenger.

Is that when the gas station attendants wore uniforms and worked in teams of 4-5?  That’s old af!

Source(s): And the world was all in black & white

Even I'm not that old.