Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsMy Yahoo · 3 months ago

remember back when cars had a gas tank in the trunk?

you had to open up your trunk in the old cars and move your stuff before the old dude could filler up for you at the fillin station

Update:

this was only 30 yrs ago

how old are you people? 9??? weird...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just about as old as you're going to be in the not too distant future. I'm no spring chicken, but I've NEVER driven a car with the gas tank in the trunk. You need a better class of friends!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

time goes by so quickly i guess .

• 2 months ago

I came up in the '80s and '90s. I don't remember seeing ANY cars like the ones you described.

• 3 months ago

I won a 1964 220Sb and the filler cap is in the Back of the car not the sides the 1949 Ford defect was on the side

the 1958 peugeot filler was behind the Tail lights

How far back and which Country are you talking about

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I don't remember gas tanks ever being in the trunk except for the emergency gas tanks which were portable and completely separate from the gas tanks that powered the car.  I do remember the Ford Pinto that had gas tanks near the rear of the car and were the cause of many explosions.

:-)

• audrey
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I'm 72 and I've never seen that!

• well maybe you just haven't seen everything as you think you have lady

• Carson
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

I've owned a lot of old cars and trucks. From a 40 ford coupe, 50s and up trucks cars. In an American built car have I never seen a fuel tank in a trunk. Even Model T had an external fuel tank.

Fuel tanks are vented so they flow. If they were in a trunk the fumes would enter the cabin intoxicating the driver and passengers. That would eventually lead to death by wreck or asphyxiation.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

They haven't done that since the 60s. Aside from the inconvenience, it was a huge hazard, since there was no firewall between the tank and the passenger.

• 3 months ago

Is that when the gas station attendants wore uniforms and worked in teams of 4-5?  That’s old af!

Source(s): And the world was all in black & white
  • 3 months ago

Even I'm not that old.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.