Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

What is the emancipation process? Can i get emancipated if i live with my boyfriend?

I am in a very poor home situation right now, and i’m 15. I want to get emancipated, so i was wondering what the process was and how i would go about it and get started? I live in texas.

Also, if i don’t have a job and live with my boyfriend, am i still able to get emancipated if he’s the one fully supporting me?

8 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    You can only emancipated if YOU have a job, and are FULLY supporting yourself.. On YOUR OWN... with NO assistance.

    That means paying for rent on your own too... No roommates, no shacking up.

    Emancipation is an option for financially independent minors. It isnt for "bad home situations".. Thats what CPS and the foster care system is for

  • 8 months ago

    No. To be emancipated by a judge, you must prove to the judge that you can support YOURSELF. No judge will allow minors to go shack up with their current love interest, which can change from one day to the next.

    In Texas, you must be 17 to apply to the court for emancipation and it is not a simple process to prove that you are responsible enough and able to support YOU.

    In addition, the legal age of consent in Texas is 17, so at 15, you are setting your boyfriend up for a lovely charge of statutory rape.

    The thing to do is to get by at home the best you can, stay in school and work and put away as much money as you can towards turning 17 and starting the emancipation process. If there is other family you can live with, such as aunt/uncle or adult sibling, once you are established living there, you can apply for emancipation at 16, but you still must be employed and earning enough to support yourself when you do go out on your own. Income from a boyfriend will not be considered as support.

  • R K
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    you need to check your states emancipation laws. but most places you need to be able to take care of yourself and support yourself on your own and have your own place to live.

  • 8 months ago

    You must be able to fully financially support YOURSELF. You also have to be at least 16.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    It varies by State but the basic requirements are the ability to support yourself, the proven ability to handle your own money, a place to live outside of family/friends, plans to finish high school.

    I would say no.

  • 8 months ago

    You can get married with parental consent. You will then belong to him and be his problem. Let's hope he is at least 25 and has a good job and is stable.

  • 8 months ago

    You have to support yourself. They are not going to emancipate you if you are not working and are dependent on your boy friend. Your best bet would be to wait until you are 16 and then seek a court consent to marry him. (I bet he will not go for that, why pay for something you get for free?)

  • Carson
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

    Stop! Think!

    You are 15. Is your boyfriend 18? Do you know that he ...go ahead. You can find the paper work on line. Google your county's name and forms for emancipation.

    It sounds like you should be in foster care anyway.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.