My computer won't connect to the internet. Help?

I'm helping my mother with her computer which hasn't been connected to the internet in 5 years. She recently got internet and we can't get it to work. The computer freezes up.

It's an hp Pavilion P6000 Series.

It doesn't have a virus or anything as she made sure of that before having internet services terminated. Some functions work while others don't such as the media player.

Does anyone know what is wrong here? I'm about ready to test my hair out at this point.

The computer only stops responding when we try to connect to the internet. We are trying to connect to WiFi (she has internet through Mediacom) and in the past a router was plugged into the computer. It's running on Windows 7 home premium.

Other devices such as her laptop have no issue connecting to the wifi but they are newer models.

try using an ethernet cable

You say that in the past the router was plugged into the computer, which implies that it isn't now. That machine doesn't have Wi-Fi capability as it stands, it needs to be connected by cable to the router.  The laptop does have Wi-Fi, which is why it connects.  That proves there's nothing wrong with the service, it's the equipment,  Plug it in.

And when it does connect, be prepared for a lot of updating.

What do you mean when you say that you recently got the internet?

In my opinion having had both, an internet dongle using a sim card (not wi-fi) is best for connecting to the internet. You put money on it with a voucher or a swipe card, £30 should do to get you started..

it needs to be seen by a technician. what you describe is multiple program failures ... could be several things, including bad sectors on the HDD

• David

We need more information, how are you trying to connect - WiFi or Ethernet cable?

Are you actually getting a connection to the router? 

Which operating system, Windows 7?

Update your post and we can help further.

I'd suggest creating a partition on the hard drive and assigning it a drive letter for any files she wants to keep.

Then I'd wipe the C: drive, any and all of the other boot partitions, then Install Windows 10 Home on the wiped part of the drive. Boothable programs like DBAN work great for wiping drives, if you know how to use them.

You can use the 25 character Windows 7 product key on Windows 10. It works. In fact I just did this to an HP P6000 someone gave me.

The HP P6000 I have has a 10/100 LAN chip which isn't able to process more than 100 Mbps. So you won't see the benefits of 300 or 500 Mbps internet unless you get an add on ethernet/network card.

I would suggest getting the LAN drivers off the HP website, putting those on a Thumbdrive, then installing them on your mom's PC. 

If the PC still freezes while or after you install Windows 10, a hardware problem is the likely culprit.

• VP

At least one of your problems is that it's most likely running an old, out-of-date copy of Windows 7.  It will take a lot of Windows updates to even catch up at this point -- and it should be on Win 10 by now (if it can handle it).

At a minimum, you need to visit the HP site and download the current drivers for her system and version of Windows she's running.  Everything has probably been upgraded, including her BIOS version.  If her system won't stay up long enough to download the drivers then you'll need to use a different computer to download the drivers to a USB drive and copy them over to your mom's Pavilion.  

You'll need to know the serial number of the system once you get to the HP website.

If the internet services terminated it's not going to connect. Reinstall Windows & contact an ISP. 

• Akida2 months agoReport

She recently got internet back. I'll try reinstalling after I contact the service provider

Reload Windows IMO