Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How to help an addict stay clean?

I'm 25 years old. I am an opiate addict. I have been drug free for awhile now but I think it's safe to say I'll be an addict all my life. I've come to terms with that I'm always going to have it in the back of my mind whether I go back to using or not, which I don't plan on doing. Part of the problem with me is I never hit rock bottom. Nobody in my family knows. Only I know the horrible things I had to do to have a steady supply. I stopped because I had an opportunity for a great career for the first time in my life and I had to choose that or the drugs. I'm struggling still. I have dreams about getting high on massive quantities of pills. I think about it every day. I have fantasies of going out and scoring heroin and getting high one more time. Are there any addicts on here that can explain to me what I can do to help myself stay strong? I never knew it would effect me as long as it has.

Hey! I am familiar (some what) with your struggle. I work at a methadone clinic as a scribe. I would advice you find a treatment center in your area where they provide methadone medication and provide counselors. Medicaid usually pays for this. The patients I've come in contact with are doing great, and are normal, functioning individuals because of the program. You need to surround yourself with recovered, sober individuals who will encourage you. And please stop saying you're going to be an addict all your life. Words are very powerful, and if you believe that of yourself, that will likely be your destiny.

You need to go to a support group (Alcoholics Anonymous actually has many former opiate addicts) and go to those meetings as often as you need to. I would actually advise against going to Narcotics Anonymous as drug dealers go there trying to find customers. 

One day at a time. Good luck!