How do I explain this to him?

So I used to have a crush on this guy at my dance studio from around 6th grade all the way to my 9th grade year. I never really got over him but I noticed he began to like another girl. He was infatuated with her and it broke my heart to watch them, but because I liked him and wanted the best for him I decided to be kind and happy for them. During this time, he was never himself and kind of ignored me. Eventually, I was over it and moved on. I am currently a junior and about a week ago he told me that he didn’t like this girl anymore and that she was a big waste of time. He also told me that he had a crush on me for 3 1/2 years, but the reason he stopped liking me was because he didn’t think he had a chance. This is why he started liking the new girl. He’s actually been being himself lately, and I am also really close with his family. I think he likes me again, and part of me likes him back, but I don’t know what I’d do if he asked me out. He is a year and a half younger than me, so right now it seems like a big age gap. There are so many good qualities about him. We both work with kids and I know he would make a great dad one day, but then there’s also some things that he needs to grown in as he matures. I wouldn’t consider dating him now, but I could see a relationship in a few years. I kind of wanted to text him and tell him that I had liked him back hide those 3 years, but I don’t want things to be awkward. How do I go about this?

If I was you, I wouldn't worry so much about the age difference and especially already planning on who you are going to marry as a junior in high school.  It's just silly societal norms that say:  "Well, teenage girls can only date peers who are the same age or 1 or 2 years older than them."  When you get older, you'll understand that all those irrational high school decrees have nothing to do with the real world.  

So, go out and have fun with this guy.  Go out and have fun with whoever you want.  You only get a window of 3 to 4 years of being in that special high school environment.  And overall, life only gives you about 25 years total when you get to be young and free. The life you have after 30 will depend on what kind of experiences you had and the wisdom gained during those early, precious years.  

I think the best way of conveying your interest is by showing him rather than telling him. Hence, what I think you should do is to drop hints to this guy that suggest a more meaningful attraction by asking him questions that will get him to ask you out. That sort of approach is really attractive to a guy as it shows him that you are interested in connecting on an emotional level. Additionally, if you feel that he needs further encouragement, you could try doing things like complimenting him and talking about fun places that you would like to go to with him. I really hope that this helps :)

Source(s): How does this guy need to mature? Has he done anything recently which has made you think that he would like to date you? :)