how do we decide if the needs of society should outweigh the rights of individuals please help me!!!?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An viable society needs to have its laws obeyed, taxes paid and, in time of war, conscription. Other than that, individual rights should prevail, but where to draw the line between public and private rights is usually a matter of dispute.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Nom
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

we as society have our needs decided by individuals whos rights outweigh society.......this is why a judge doesnt get arrested when he puts an innocent man in jail for 30 plus years. and cops can investigate themselves according to individuals...society says we should be able to investigate ourselves and get paid vacation for screwing up at work too. individuals tell us no thats not what society wants. i think society would disagree

• 2 months ago

Depends on how you define rights and needs. If your rights include keeping 100% of your income, it won't work. Someone has to fund fire and police protection, build streets and highways and conduct the normal functions of government. If the needs of others extends to supporting those who choose not to work, that will mess things up too.

Social Democrats suggest that a progressive tax would fund basic governmental services, and extend to funding secondary education, health care and some even promote a basic minimum income. These principles (except basic income) are normal in other advanced countries.

My take is that each member of the club of U.S. citizens is due current protections plus child care, health care and education, funded by an income tax that has rates into the 70s % range for the super wealthy. That, along with unionization, built a strong middle class after WWII.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.