Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 1 month ago

Is it best to dress up to go to an opera?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course !!!   Go for the whole experience !!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

yesit is okay oaky

• Verity
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You simply can't go wrong with LBD---the Little Black Dress.

Add a shawl, jewelry, obnoxious heels--it will still work!

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is best to dress up as though for a special occassion or a date in a pricey restaurant.  You or your host has paid an impressive sum for the tickets, so you should dress to show respect for the venue, your host's generosity, or your generosity to yourself.

My budget restricts me to public transit, so I don't wear showy stuff late at night.  A nice knee or calf length skirt or dress, some understated jewelry, my best coat, hat and boots for the slush and snow.  Men in my economic class wear business attire or their best slacks and pullover sweater with the appropriate urban winter wear. "Sunday" clothes, as for attending church.  Richer people wear finer evening clothes.  Black is considered the traditional evening wear colour; but many colours go with a black skirt.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I hadn't been to a Broadway show in 15 years when we won tickets in a radio contest. OK, it was a Saturday matinee, but I was surprised to see I must have been the only man in the audience with a suit and tie. This spring, I went to a Saturday matinee at the Metropolitan Opera. Most, but not all men wore suits and ties and the women wore dresses. You couldn't go wrong if that's what you wore even if you're not going to the Met.

• 1 month ago

It depends what you mean by “dress up”. Most people don’t wear casual clothes to go to the theatre even if it’s a play or a musical, but you don’t need to go over the top with anything special for an opera.

You would stand out like a sore thumb if you wore a track suit and trainers or dirty jeans, but otherwise wear what you want.

Source(s): Been to dozens of operas.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most people dress fairly formally to go to the opera.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.