Should the government pay for post-compulsory education in the UK?

Hi.

I have been asked to do a research about what people think about free higher education.

If you could tell me what would be the pros and cons if government would pay for post-compulsory education?

Thanks in advance

• Clive

That's how it always WAS until the 1990s, when successive governments massively expanded university admissions.  The result was to make free higher education unaffordable so they had to start giving loans instead of grants to pay the fees and give you some money to live on, and far more dropouts of students who've been led down the garden path of believing they could have a degree.

We now have students who struggle with the basics of doing their own research and writing essays.  My brother-in-law's daughter thought it would be so cool to study psychology, got accepted, and gave up at the first sight of an essay topic.  She hadn't a clue how to even start it.  Which says just as much about how A levels have been dumbed down.  For goodness' sake, I was taught essay technique at O level - now they don't seem to be taught it at all.

I know a young Birkbeck student whose first assignment included "summarise this in your own words".  She misinterpreted it as an essay.  When I saw the question, a bell went off in my head that said "precis-writing".  Because being the age I am, I did O level English Language, and you always got a precis question - a passage printed on the exam paper to summarise in your own words.  This student had never done this before because they don't set it on GCSE.  And yet I can see why they put it on O level - being able to read something and pull out the key points is a skill you will need later on.  (LOL my 80 year old Mum had the same reaction - we sort of looked at each other and said "precis"!  We both liked doing it because it didn't seem like much work - all you have to do is rewrite the set passage in fewer words.)

When university admissions were more limited, only the best got in, and very few failed so it was good value for money.  Making it free was seen as an investment in the future.  And a degree meant something.  Now that half of all school-leavers end up with one 3 years later but there are no more graduate-level jobs, you get graduates working as admin assistants because they can't get anything better - it's getting ludicrous.  When I was applying to accountancy firms, they took graduates with a 2:2.  Now they'll only accept a 2:1 or a first because there are so many more of them.

Anyway, the government still DOES pay for most of it.  Look up a few university web sites and see what the fees are for foreign students - that's the full cost fee, about three times what a UK/EU student pays.

We could afford to make it free again IF we were prepared to restrict the numbers.  But having opened the floodgates, closing them again is no doubt politically unacceptable.

Now what is "a research"?  And the next sentence should begin "Could you...", not "If you could...".  We ARE talking about higher education!

Just personal experience. You need to talk to seniors wherever.

My partner and I went to University in the UK in the 1960's, with our fees paid and money to live on. We came from working class families with no-one ever in higher education.

As a result of our education, he became a financial analyst and I went into teaching then into IT. We have paid a lot of tax, much more than we could have contributed as a shop assistant, and a factory worker would have paid.