Jamie
Lv 4
Jamie asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Is a beagle scary enough for a guard dog?

I nearly had my garage broken into while I was sleeping last night I managed scare them off when I turned my light on and I fancy now getting a dog

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A Beagle would bark, raising the alarm, is all.   That might deter the occasional burgler who, hearing a dog on a property, would/should move on.    However, if somebody is determined to break in, he'll deal with the dog, and break in.    I'd NEVER put one of mine in that situation.   And don't think about getting a vicious dog - only an experienced handler should ever have a dog like that.   In any case if the dog injures somebody, burgler or no, he'd probably be seized and put down.  Agin do you want to put any dog in that situation.

Install a good security system (you said putting your light on made these would-be thieves move on) and not a dog.

• 8 months ago

Guard dog?  Yes when the burglar sees it smoking he will think he is hard as nails and run a mile.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Guard dog? NO way.

Alert dog.....Possibly.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No.  Beagles are hunting dogs, not guard dogs.  They are on the smaller side, cute and not at all intimidating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

You just need an alert dog & not a Guard Dog. Any dog would have heard the noise & would have alerted you & then you act on it. A Guard Dog is a dog you keep behind a tall fence with warning signs. A trained Guard Dog is a lethal weapon & if that dog bites someone you would be charged with using a deadly weapon.

You need to learn a few things about dogs before you go out & get one.

trolling? how far you go?

• Anton
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

The dog is the alarm.  You are the guard.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

If you need a dog because you're afraid. I suggest you move to a better neighborhood

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

I don’t think a beagle will scare anyone.  In fact, there aren’t that many dogs who are scary.  There are a lot of dogs who are big.  But being big and being scary are two different things.

• 8 months ago

They sure are good for barking. They wouldn't fight for you but they would certainly alert you.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No, you should get a basset hound instead

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.