Jamie asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is a beagle scary enough for a guard dog?

I nearly had my garage broken into while I was sleeping last night I managed scare them off when I turned my light on and I fancy now getting a dog

Favorite Answer

A Beagle would bark, raising the alarm, is all.   That might deter the occasional burgler who, hearing a dog on a property, would/should move on.    However, if somebody is determined to break in, he'll deal with the dog, and break in.    I'd NEVER put one of mine in that situation.   And don't think about getting a vicious dog - only an experienced handler should ever have a dog like that.   In any case if the dog injures somebody, burgler or no, he'd probably be seized and put down.  Agin do you want to put any dog in that situation.

Install a good security system (you said putting your light on made these would-be thieves move on) and not a dog.

Guard dog?  Yes when the burglar sees it smoking he will think he is hard as nails and run a mile.

• Jojo

Guard dog? NO way.

Alert dog.....Possibly.

No.  Beagles are hunting dogs, not guard dogs.  They are on the smaller side, cute and not at all intimidating.

You just need an alert dog & not a Guard Dog. Any dog would have heard the noise & would have alerted you & then you act on it. A Guard Dog is a dog you keep behind a tall fence with warning signs. A trained Guard Dog is a lethal weapon & if that dog bites someone you would be charged with using a deadly weapon.

You need to learn a few things about dogs before you go out & get one.

trolling? how far you go?

• Dimo

The dog is the alarm.  You are the guard.

• Dimo
      1 month agoReport

Open the door to get the mail from the Mailman.  Got an idiotic look.  I turn behind me, the front door wide open, the pack (two Jacks, a Rat Terrier, and the mutt) standing quietly.  I turned back to him, "Would you like to see something interesting? "  He said, "I think not."

If you need a dog because you're afraid. I suggest you move to a better neighborhood

• Mandy

I don’t think a beagle will scare anyone.  In fact, there aren’t that many dogs who are scary.  There are a lot of dogs who are big.  But being big and being scary are two different things.

They sure are good for barking. They wouldn't fight for you but they would certainly alert you.

No, you should get a basset hound instead