What does the term suspension mean in science?? ?

Can someone explain it to me so that it’s not hard to understand. For example in this sentence “A beam of light is directed onto a stream of fluid containing cells. The cells need to be in suspension. I’m thinking dissolved but cells don’t dissolve so I’m confused. Help. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Suspended particles are those that do not dissolve into a fluid, but remain intact. For example, if you drop a coin into a glass of water, the coin will not dissolve but is a suspended particle. Particles that are dissolved become attached to water molecules. For example, when salt (NaCl) is dissolved in water, the Na or sodium atom becomes attached to the (-) part of a water molecule, since Na+ ion is + charged. The Cl- or cloride ion is negatively charged and it becomes attached to the (+) side of the H2O molecule. Bigger molecules that dissolve may simply lose an electron, become positively charge and attach themselves to the positive end of a water molecule.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dixon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is where small solid particles are found throughout a fluid, so specifically not dissolved. In fact it is just descriptive - the particles are as if they are hanging suspended from something, except they are not.

It also technically implies that in still fluid the particles would settle if given enough time.

• 2 months ago

A suspension is like a mixture, except that the components remain visibly separate and exist in different physical phases.  The components are also presumed to settle out or "precipitate" over time.

Mud is a suspension of (solid) soil particles in (liquid) water.

Fog is a suspension of (liquid) water particles in (gaseous) air.

A dust cloud is a suspension of (solid) dust particles in (gaseous) air.

• Jon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It means not dissolved, but also not sinking to the bottom of the fluid or rising to the top.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.