which is better classical guitar or acoustic?? the difference?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

takes a  10 sentence answers to ;splain deese guys dey make goofy questions

• 8 months ago

Classical guitars ARE acoustic.

• RockIt
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

A classical guitar is better for playing classical guitar music. Period.  

The big differences:

A classical guitar is strung with nylon strings

An acoustic guitar (acoustic steel string guitar) is strung generally with steel strings

A classical guitar is light weight, it doesn't have a truss road running through the neck

An acoustic guitar has a truss rod running through the neck that can be adjusted.  Its necessary to give strength to the neck.  Steel strings place significantly more tension on a guitar than nylon strings.

The width of the finger board on a classical guitar is wider.  The nylon strings are set further apart than the steel strings on a traditional steel string acoustic guitar.  The width of a classical guitar finger board is about the same as the width of a 12 string steel string guitar.

Why are the strings wider apart on a classical guitar?  because it provides room for one to play finger style classical guitar styles and employ classical guitar techniques more effectively.

Why are strings closer together on a steel string classical guitar?  because it provides for ease of playing with a plectrum, (a pick), for example strumming chords,

Another important difference:  a classical guitar's fingerboard is flat.  A steel string acoustic guitar fingerboard is curved to accommodate the significantly different width of steel strings, the thin #1 treble string versus the heavier #6 wound bass string.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Classical guitars ARE acoustic. The two main types of guitar are acoustic and electric. Classical guitars are nylon string acoustics.

Neither is “best”, otherwise the other type wouldn't be bought by anyone. It depends on the player's preference and the type of music being played. Nylon strings have a different sound to steel strings (not all nylon string guitars are classical though). 

Steel string acoustic guitars tend to have a bigger more robust body, slimmer necks and fingerboards, a radiused rather than flat fingerboard, higher string tension and a lower action. They have more volume and a brighter sound.

Whilst there are certain techniques and music associated with the classical guitar any type of music can (and usually is) played on any type of guitar.

If a beginner had no preference I would suggest a steel string flat top acoustic. Yes, for a beginner nylon strings have less tension and are thick and therefore easier to fret but the fretboards are wider, the necks bulkier and, usually, the action is higher. A reasonably well set up steel string acoustic shouldn't be difficult to physically play. My first guitar was a £14 plywood steel string acoustic with “medium” strings and I couldn't really say that I found pressing strings down difficult (I did find everything else almost impossible though!). Yes, if I spent a while on it my fingers started to get a little sore until I'd been playing for a few months. But that wasn't a problem, I just gave them a rest.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Me2
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Hernando quite rightly criticized the previous responses, but then went off track a little with "Classical guitars ... are used almost exclusively for playing classical music", as that is just not the case anymore.  And, as Tony B points out, "not all nylon string guitars are classical."

Beginners find a classical guitar's nylon strings easier on their fingers, as they are larger diameter than steel strings and require less pressure.  In all fairness, a steel-string guitar may be fitted with lighter than normal strings for ease of playing, but the sound quality suffers (thin tone, buzzing, etc).

People with large hands or chubby fingers have less trouble with a wide-neck classical (which is also better for fingerpicking), but you can choose a classical with a more narrow neck if that's your preference or you have smaller hands.

Classical guitars have a fatter, warmer sound than steel-string acoustics, and notes have a more pronounced attack.  Steel-string guitars can be louder and usually have more sustain.

RockIt's statement, "A steel string acoustic guitar fingerboard is curved to accommodate the significantly different width of steel strings, the thin #1 ... versus the heavier #6" is mistaken.  The radius is a compromise accommodating human anatomy to allow ease of playing both chords and single notes.

There are three construction details that do reflect string differences.  The universal one, relating to string diameter, adjusts the nut slot spacing.  The spacing between strings, measured from adjacent edges rather than center-to-center, is constant.  This implies that, measured center-to-center, the high E and B are closer together than the low E and A.

The second is quite common, and is simply that the saddle under the D string is a little higher than you'd expect.  Saddle height does increase from treble to bass in a fairly linear fashion; the D just departs a little from the regular rise.

The third is generally restricted to high-end instruments.  The fretboard is carved to provide slightly greater relief (clearance between string and fret) toward the bass side, to reduce buzzing due the wider oscillation of the low strings.

RockIt comments, "Why is the [radius] compromise useful on steel string guitars versus classical guitars .. Classical guitarists want to play chords and single notes..."  Fretting full chords is relatively rare in the vast majority of classical guitar music and fingerstyle in general.  Having the strings in the same plane at the saddle facilitates picking.

Classical guitars with radiused fretboards are available, from about 16 inch to 24 inch radius.  Contrast that to Fender necks with 9.5 inch radius; I can say from experience that they make fingerstyle frustrating.  A number of steel-string acoustic and electric models with 16 inch and greater radii are available, and old Gretsch electrics had, or were available with, 24-inch radiused fretboards that were great for fingerstyle.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

So far you have received responses from people who know virtually nothing about guitars. So here's the information you're looking for. First of all classical guitars *are* acoustic guitars  - any guitar you don't plug in and it makes sound is an acoustic guitar. What you were referring to as "acoustic " are actually called steel string flat top acoustic guitars, as opposed to classical guitars. 

Classical guitars have nylon strings and are used almost exclusively for playing classical music. Unless you're interested in playing classical music don't buy a classical guitar. Most people are much better off with a steel string flat top acoustic guitar. You're going to need to spend around $200 to get a minimally acceptable beginner's guitar. I recommend the Yamaha FS800.

Good luck and don't forget to get lessons! 

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years. I own both steel string gacoustic uitars and classical guitars.
  • 8 months ago

Usually, classic guitar pieces are played on an acoustic instrument. Classical is a type of music, Acoustic is a type of guitar.

• 8 months ago

neither. both. its art. classical is amazing, acoustic is amazing. personally? acoustic just cause i love indie acoustic guitar songs

• Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Classical guitars can be acoustic guitars. You can play classical on a guitar with nylon OR steel strings.  However, most classical guitarists prefer the nylon strings and the smaller size and shape of the classical guitar.  Much depends on what sort of music you want to play.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

"better" is always subjective

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.