How can I get my name off a car's title?

This is all in the state of Michigan. So my ex fiance is an undocumented Mexican immigrant with no papers at all. She was brought here as a child almost 20 years ago. We dated and got engaged but about 4 months ago we broke up because she's always wanted to date her ex's best friend but didn't think she could until her ex boyfriend got deported. That being said, she bought a car a few years ago for about $700 and we put it in my name so my name is on the title and it is registered to me. Obviously because of her status that's how we had to do it. We planned on working with an immigration lawyer to get situation together but it turns out she's not doing that anymore and this new guy she is with is a drug dealer (or at least sells weed). She's blocked me on all social media and my phone number I'm guessing at his request so I can't contact her. I texted and called from a different number, messaged her boyfriend on Facebook and left a note on her car (I stopped by the other day). No response. I just want the car out of my name so I'm not responsible for whatever happens down the line. I don't think her boyfriend is an immigrant. My only ideas are to have the car towed to my house or call the police and report it stolen. I don't know what else to do. She has about 4 to 5 other undocumented immigrants at her house and her youngest sister is American and I hate to get the police involved but at this point I don't really care. What are the best options I have? She has the title also

Favorite Answer

You can see if the MI DMV will cancel the registration, by saying: - it was stolen... it's a cheap car... I just want it out of my name.

If they can't do that, you will have to report it stolen with the police. 

• TheReal
      1 month agoReport

If she gets pulled over, she'll sell him out to save herself. That's MORE incentive for her to snitch him off. He WILL eventually get caught up if he goes that route. 

Seriously, all this drama over a $700 car ?????

90% of this question is completely and totally irrelevant. Nothing about her immigration or relationship status matters. What matters is that she has your car. Unless you sign the title over to her, and report it, it's your car. Have it towed to your house and do what you want with it. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
    • TheReal
      1 month agoReport

The reasons don't matter at all, in any way. You could have said "I have zero contact with the person who is driving it", and saved a lot of writing. The fact remains it is your car, like it or not. The fact that you don't like the answer doesnt mean it's wrong. 

• CB

Easy - have the car towed to your house - remove the plates and wheels. Call a 'we buy used cars" or Kars for Kids donation and schedule the pickup for the same day - or a day later. You hand over the title signed and it is gone forever - it would be nice if you had keys buy not necessary. Contact DMV to report car sold/transferred and turn in the plates. 

• AskZilla
      1 month agoReport

I once sold a car to someone who never followed through with changing the title through the dmv. Why do people do that?

If you have the VIN number and the plate number, I would go to the DMV leaving the whole illegal immigrant part of the story out and tell them that you are there to report that you sold the vehicle to (name of girl friend) for x-amount of dollars and that you lost the title certificate, but you are reporting the sale. They should then remove your name as the registered owner and the title ownership is now on her! Any bad things happen with the vehicle after that is not on you!

• A Hunch
      1 month agoReport

That would all be good, except he needs her signature on the title to transfer it to her. If he has lost the title, any MI DMV branch office can do a same day title for him to give to her to sign.

You can't without her. You may be able to cancel the tag if its in your name.