Anonymous

What could I of done wrong ?

I just went through a really lengthy application process to get a job I really wanted, I had my first interview with the manager and she was so nice and basically was talking like I already had the job, she invited me back immediately for a second interview where I would be with her and the boss, she warned me he can be hard work and she hoped he wouldn’t scare me off the job. 

I got the feeling of what she meant once I met him but the interview went well and I was myself as before. He said he would be in touch later that day and never called and then 3 days later he still hadn’t called so I rang asking for feedback and he said it was a no and I should of got a letter (which I obviously hadn’t) 3 days later a letter came dated the day I phoned him...The nice lady said I was the top applicant and no one else has experience etc so I am baffled to what happened :( it’s been really upsetting me all weekend thinking about it. What could of happened? 

• Kia

It could have been a last minute budget cut. I am sorry... but don't fret about it. Chin up, and keep searching. All the best

• Judith

It doesn't mean that you did anything wrong.  It just means that he interviewed someone he thought fit more.

What you say in an interview can either make, or break you.

• Judy

Maybe they got another applicant with experience and they though the other person was a better fit. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Don't take it personally, as hard as that is to do.  There could be any number of reasons:

1. The boss is looking for something no current applicant has.  

2. The HR person or initial interviewer is bringing in people, such as yourself, who really aren't qualified -- or don't have that one quality the boss really wants.

3. They found someone they liked even better AFTER they talked to you a second time.

4. Something came up on a reference or employment verification call that disqualified you.

I know how upsetting getting rejected can be, particularly when all the signs were good.  Count your blessings.  It seems clear that the boss in that company is mean and depending and the person who first interviewed you don't really understand him. As much as you may have wanted that title or job description, you may be lucky you aren't working for this guy.  

maybe you should ask them this question

Someone better came along and got hired......move on now

Maybe someone else came in at the last minute that they liked better?

No reason to be upset. Move on.