Any tips for sousaphone?

I’m a small girl who has always played tuba, and recently I got the chance to move up to marching band. I have to switch back and forth between a large Sousa(with pads), a smaller Sousa(without pads), and my concert tuba with a strap rigged on. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing with the sousaphones, any thing would be really helpful. My main issues right now is that I can’t quite get the hang of taking it on and off, and the pain in my shoulder is really bad. I have bony shoulders, and even with pads it hurts bad. My only other issue is that after standing still with it for a while (like for halftime) I can’t move anything from my mid back down. If anyone has any advice for this it would be so nice, anything helps, even just your band stories! Thank you!

"Mexico is one of the few places a sousaphone player can still get laid."

-Andy Richter. Conan goes to Mexico.

• Ludwig

Blow into the small end.  Not the big end.

Best tip of all for sousaphone: you need to blow into it, not strum it like a guitar. That was a big stumbling block for me.

If you can use a fiberglass/resin sousaphone, they weigh around 16 pounds, when brass of the same size is about 28. Check those weights online - I am writing in distant memory. Frankly, someone of your build should play alto horn or bari. There is no nobility in injuring yourself over and over, to play an instrument that perhaps should not have been your choice.