Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

What is the most difficult dessert to make at home?

Croquembouche, Profitterol,Panettone or?

I'm not sure. For those, who have cooking skills, can make all of them. But for me, probably, croquembouche.

If you can make a profiterole you can make a croquembouche. Croquembouche is just assembling profiteroles into a pile. Profiteroles are a little tricky to start with but once you've got the hang of them you can turn them out quickly by the hundred.

I've found it difficult to get Panettone to bake evenly.

Peach cobbler is the most difficult dessert to make 

• Clive

Croquembouche is certainly up there if only for the difficulty and fiddle of assembling it from dozens of little profiteroles.  It's a traditional thing at French weddings because it looks spectacular.  Making profiteroles is not too hard - I've never had any trouble making choux pastry, and all they are is choux pastry buns,

Anything involving puff pastry takes hours because of roll, fold, chill, roll, fold, chill several times to make the laminations, though maybe that's more time-consuming than difficult.  Anything involving meringue is more likely to go wrong, particularly macarons where you want them all an identical size and perfectly crisp.  You need an absolutely grease-free bowl and whisk and no mistakes when separating the eggs or the whites will refuse to whip up.

Brandy snaps occurred to me - if you've never heard of them, making the mixture is easy enough, it's the rest that can drive you potty.  Small dollops of the mixture WELL spaced apart on a baking tray (because they spread very wide) won't take long to cook, then you need to roll these thin flat discs around a wooden former, maybe a wooden spoon with a thick handle, to make a tube while they're still warm and bendy.  They set very fast so seriously, if you're making them by yourself, only bake 2 at a time and put the next 2 in while you're making the first 2 into tubes - get a production line going.

Now fill the tubes carefully with whipped cream.  It will be no surprise that I've only ever seen these on TV or in illustrated cookbooks.

Shaky Puddin'...

A syllabub takes a good deal of patience and timing to make, 

and making a creme brulee can be challenging too. 

• C

Out of those choices the croquembouche (which isn't very different from profiteroles) purely for the fuss of assembling the thing and casting spun sugar if you want to garnish it that way.  Neither profiteroles nor panettone are hard to make.  Personally I find individually plated desserts made up of many constituent parts, where each part has to be perfect or the whole thing falls apart when the food rings are removed, definitely involving sheets of gelatine, possibly involving a blow torch troublesome.  A huge part of the problem is that my wrists are quite stiff these days so repeating very delicate, swift movements multiple times is tricky.

Only things that I will not try from scratch ..

Puff pastry and Phyllo dough. 

Just about anything else I will give it a go. 

Macarons for the sheer amount of time and careful techbique it takes. Not even all that worth it