Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Back to the ER or not?

I went in 10 days ago. Dr put me on antibiotics for a UTI. Went in 7 days ago as instructed if things weren’t getting better and I was told I would be called about an ultrasound. I didn’t get called and done the antibiotics but things are still getting worse (pain periodically, pain while urinating, blood, lightheadedness, fatigue, temperature) . Should I go back in or? The ER staff made me feel like I shouldn’t be there last time... I work days so no clinic is open when I’m off.

• Edna

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Don't go to an ER for a UTI. A UTI is NOT an emergency. The ER staff made you feel that you shouldn't have been there, because you SHOULDN'T have been there.

Make an appointment with a private physician. If that doctor thinks you need to have an ultrasound, he's schedule you for one. If he doesn't think you need an ultrasound, he won't call you back in. 

Most of us work days, but our employer will allow  us to take a few hours off in order to see a doctor. 

The ER staff was correct. Unless you are suffering from urosepsis (e.g. your UTI is so bad that you now have sepsis), a UTI is not an emergency and therefore not a good reason to go to the ER. Take an hour or two off work and go to your regular doctor.

• Pippin

Most of us work days -- and take time off when we are sick and need to go to the doctor. (And many clinics are open into the early evening hours.)

The ER is for emergencies.

The ER is a limited diagnostic venue. You need a internist to follow up and do further testing. You need to take charge of your health, even if that means missing some work.  The ER Would be appropriate if you were so sick you would be admitted

Seems like a no-brainer ...that if you're sick, you'd take off from work and go to the clinic. 

I wouldn't go to an ER for this.

Yes, you could have something serious, so it's better to be safe