Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 months ago

Why do I feel such a strange attachment to a place I’ve visited once?

I went to New Orleans for the first time for a quick weekend visit about a month ago. Ever since I’ve left, I’ve felt such a strong feeling of desire to go back. I travel a lot and have been to many different places and I have never felt this way about any other location.

The catch is, nothing spectacular happened here. My company was average, the place I stayed was mediocre, I didn’t meet anyone special that I’m longing to see again but there’s something in me that is craving to go back. Thoughts?

Perhaps you felt at home, exactly at home

Because of the lack of frills?

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Rough guess

I felt that way about Europe as soon as I could see it out of the plane window. I think it's something buried in my genetics that makes it feel like "home". Maybe you have some distant ancestor from the area.

You may have liked the people or the places.

It’s the general southern hospitality that you probably are attracted too. 

We like to call the south “the hidden gem of America). 

I’m originally from the Boston area and let me tell you the difference from Boston to places like Louisiana is simply the southern hospitality. Everyone is just a little nicer. People aren’t in such a rush all the time like they are on the east coast. Everything’s just a little slower in the south, way more relaxed and people generally just care more.