Am I the only one who gets really annoyed when people say, "the U.S. is not a democracy, it's a republic?"?

They think they sound smart but it shows their lack of education. For those who don't know, a republic is a form of democracy. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • wjstix
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

As noted, a "republic" is just a country without a king. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union and today's China and North Korea are republics...as is the U.S. A democracy is a country where directly or indirectly (through elected representatives) people get to take part in their government. Britain is not a republic; Canada is not a republic; but both are democracies.

• Login to reply the answers
  • John H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't know where YOU were educated, but this country was founded as a REPUBLIC with democratic elements ( election of the House of Representatives ) included.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is why those with a sounder understanding will use the phrase "open democracy" instead.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A republic is not a form of democracy.  It merely means "not a monarchy".  North Korea is a republic but it clearly isn't democratic.  The same goes for anywhere that has tried being communist.  (Mind you, as their leader always comes from the same family, it's pretty much a monarchy, but for the moment let's accept the official view that it isn't.)

The USA allows its citizens to have a say in who governs, expressed in free elections, and it doesn't have a king.  Which makes it a democratic republic.  You need both words to describe it fully as a republic is not necessarily democratic.  And I do get annoyed with all those answerers who claim it isn't a democracy.  What are all those elections for if it's not democratic?

Yes, there appears to be an ignorant view amongst Americans that democracy is only when the people get to vote on everything.  Of course this isn't practical so you have a representative democracy.

Now the UK has representative democracy but it's certainly not a republic.  See?  They don' necessarily go together.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

WE ARE A FEDERAL REPUBLIC AND YOU BEING UPSET OVER IT IS NOT GOING CHANGE IT

• 2 months ago

Rome was Republic, at least for a while. It was not a Democracy. Athens was a Democracy but not a Republic. The US is a Democratic Republic. In other words a Democracy wrapped inside of a Republic, the way the Framers of the Constitution wanted.

• 2 months ago

It's particularly annoying because when we were in school, we were taught that we lived in a democracy. That that meant that people had a say in how the country was governed. We were taught that democracy started in Greece, and wasn't it wonderful that our Founding Fathers based our government system on Greek Democracy!  Now, snide Republics try to justify the fact that our President was not elected by a majority of the people by saying "we're a Republic, not a democracy." Even in a republic, the will of the people is supposed to matter. 

• Pepper, PhD
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I think Trump is a disaster but I don't think anyone has to justify him being elected without a majority. Under our Constitution, the president is not elected by a national majority. It does not change the fact that we elect the president and representatives in democratic elections.

• 2 months ago

You are correct. 

note

The United States has been classed as a “flawed democracy”, falling short of the threshold of a fully democratic society for the second year running, according to a comprehensive new report.

The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) produces an annual review ranking countries on their adherence to 60 distinct democratic values, including electoral processes and press freedom.

The US scored of 7.98 out of 10 last year, dropping into the flawed democracy category for the first time. The change reflected what the report said was “a sharp fall in popular confidence in the functioning of public institutions”. This predated and aided the election of Donald Trump, according to the think-tank.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/...

In the seven presidential elections since 1992, the Republican candidate has won the popular vote just once but has prevailed in the Electoral College three times — and the trends show that the Democrats' edge in the popular vote may be growing.

• Pepper, PhD
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Good point but that is how the Constitution intended it to be. Many democracies do not elect their leader by majority of the nation. Canada and the UK to name two.

• ricky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

And our form of democracy is called a Republic. I’ll bet your ancestors got annoyed will people claiming the world is round, not flat. Maybe you’re not really annoyed, just insecure in your incorrect positions.

• ...Show all comments
    • ricky
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Actually I’m saying it’s a car, and this car is also a Camaro I didn’t say it wasn’t a democracy, just the type, Republican

• 2 months ago

The USA is a representative republic based on democratic principles and the rule of law. 

• ...Show all comments
    • ricky
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

And that not quite a full democracy is called a Republic. I think your annoyance on the matter stems from your insecurities. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.