Am I a lost cause?

I recently had someone try to be in a relationship with me but I can’t get myself to trust them or even allow any physical contact. I don’t feel normal and at times I just can’t allow myself to have any emotions. It is slowly getting to me that I am probably just a freak that can’t even allow hugs. I feel ashamed and guilty when thinking about anything to do with relationships, sexual activity, or even physical contact! I was sexually assaulted in the past as a child. Am I just a freak?

• Foofa

You're not a "freak", you're an example what happens when someone undergoes trauma and doesn't get treatment for it. Start seeing a therapist so you can work through all of this.

Your issues stem from your childhood trauma and you need to seek professional help in order to get over what happened to you in the past. You're not a freak but you unfortunately have issues that you're victim of that you need to get help to deal with. Good luck to you.

No you are in protection mode. That might have been what you needed for a time but now its become a self imposed prison. Therapy may help you let go of the trauma of the past so you can move onto a freer future.

No. You've got PTSD from the child abuse. You need help to get over this. When you were a kid they probably didn't know about PTSD so you've been left to suffer unfortunately. See your doctor and he'll put you in touch with a reputable counsellor. Don't let what happened to you in the past ruin the rest of your life. This can be overcome and the memories will go back where they should be....into history. Good luck.

• Brian