shailynn asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

If I file for unemployment due to mental illness will it effect my chances of getting jobs in the future?

I had a death in the family and missed a couple of days of work during trial period and my boss is letting me go. It made me come to the realization that I’m mentally needing to focus on my mental health and there’s no way for me to survive without source of income right now. I also had surgery a few months ago and am still having complications that cause severe pain and nausea, something a lot of jobs wouldn’t understand if happens ever so often. Every few months or so it seems to give me problems for some reason, and besides that, my mental stuff isn’t so great either. I need therapy and I need a way to get better

In the USA/most countries: Simply leaving your job isn’t enough to qualify for unemployment. Instead, you must meet a series of criteria that evaluate the amount of time you worked for your employer, your earnings, and the circumstances surrounding your departure. 

Unemployment compensation is paid by the state to unemployed workers who have lost their jobs due to layoffs or retrenchment. Unemployment compensation is meant to provide a source of income for jobless workers until they can find employment."unemployment compensation/benefits" are not given specifically for mental health reasons.  In the US SSD/SSI might be though.I do not know what is wrong your question was to vague & not helpful.  BPD, C-PTSD;PTSD or BD (BipolarDisorder) are the primary illnesses you can get SSI/SSD for.  Some local laws, depending where you live might have "good cause" laws.  If you quit for "GOOD CAUSE" there is a small chance you can get unemployment but must prove: * Have a medically documented health condition

* Lost your job because of medically-verified stress or another health condition (and at no fault of your own)

* Are now able and available for work

Mental health issues hit women much harder and different, are you a woman, your vague question gave no details.   You have to be careful as I bet you know.  It is harder for a woman to get effective treatment too.  People won't believe you, they will tell you get over it - IT could be worse OR it is all in your head, you are just stupid.Like it or not, it is a male dominated work force.  People are fake, insecure, competitive, jealous, self centered or just like to hurt others - They do not care.  This is why you lost your job the first time.  Mentally ill women are often targeted, ignored, pushed away or ridiculed (exploited).  People do not care or listen they assume you are stupid and crazy.  Women in many ways are expected to be tough. Look at any good - great mother.Someone always finds out.  Is that ok, fair or always legal?  No often it is none of those things.  Any low level manager will see you were collecting unemployment and people just find out.  If someone does find out and you are labeled "the crazy b*tch" it does more than impact your career.  Even if you disagree with any of this, that is fine.  Ask the millions of woman globally with similar problems.  You might be better with longer term solutions SSI/SSD and not working/worrying about it.

You can focus 100% on yourself, therapy and future while not worrying about potentially ignorant people (your job)

• Layne

It would because many employers would expect more of the same.  Taking off from work.

• Eva

You can't file for unemployment for medical reasons. In order to receive unemployment, you cannot have been fired for cause and must be ready, willing, and able to go work. You must be seeking employment while you are receiving unemployment.

• Gert

You can't. Unemployment is for people who have lost their job and are fit for work.

• Tulip

You probably won't even qualify for unemployment

• Robert

Maybe you and others who have convinced themselves that they are so different from every other person in the world who can actually cope with the problems life throws at them and support themselves and carry out their responsibilities, can form a club. Life is difficult. Why do those suffering a bad time think that they can't get through it without the rest of the world supporting them? If there is no way for you to survive without income, get off your *** and work. Then see a therapist for an hour in the afternoon after work. If you sit home with noting to do, you'll just think about how crappy life is and make your imagined demons worse. Or maybe I am wrong and there is a mental plague in the 20 somethings that make them as a group unable to continue to take care of themselves as men have done since they learned to walk erect. I really don't think it is a difficult as so many on this answer's forum seem to think. You all need bit of tough love and someone needs to tell you that the helicopter parenting was a stupid idea. They harmed you.

Yes............