Alex asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Weight loss stall?

I have been on a diet for over a year. I started out just cutting calories. I think I am mostly a mesomorph. I can't seem to put on any muscle. My body just wants to stay at 169 pounds. Everytime I think the scale is going down, it goes right back up to 169-173.

Calories: 1200-1400

Excersise: Incline walking & workout videos (crunches, high knees, ski lunges, etc.) Sometimes tennis.I don't know what to do. At first I cut calories. And doubled the exercise. I can't do a lot of exercises because of Asthma. Fat = 50% or more, protein 20% or less, and about 100 net carbs a day. This made me lose a lot of weight.Keto didn't work. Maybe my metabolism had slowed down?

I keep sugar low. The stall has gone on for a few months.

• Louis

Exercise isn't that important. You should keep up the exercise just because of CV health. but it is not a key factor in weight loss. 

Diet is the key factor. and your diet is pretty screwed up. My best advice is to join SparkPeople. It's free. and they have the tools and databases to help you create a healthy diet that is sustainable and will allow you to lose 1 - 4 pounds a month. BTW a good diet is one where 20 to 30 percent of your calories come from protein. 20 to 30 from fat. And the rest is carbs.Limiting carbs is dumb. limiting fats are smart. 20/20/60 is a good goal. 1600 calories a day is a good goal too. Keto does work but I don't recommend it. And no matter what you can't sustain it.  

• Eva

Your diet should not be 50% fat! No wonder you aren't losing weight. Change up your exercise routine and add some weight training. That should put on muscle and not bother your asthma. Up your protein consumption by 10%. Evaluate the fats you do eat and make sure they fall in the "healthy fat" category and are not saturated or trans fats.

Weight loss is 80% about what you're eating and 20% about exercise. And if a person over does it with the exercise, there is not really much benefit, but there will be muscle fatigue.

You've likely hit a plateau in weight loss, and this can be common.

Counting calories isn't the best way. You might try Keto:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto