Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I want to adopt a puppy but I am still confused on how many times you should take them outside during the day and during the night????

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

With young puppies you take them out every few hours till they are older and more trained.  Figure about an hour per month of age - so a 8 week old puppy needs to go out every 2 hours.  Crate at night and take out first thing in the morning when the pup wakes up.

Every 2 Hours 24/7 if you want it quickly houseclean. Also while the pup remains unvaccinated only to relieve itself in a dog secure area because of the danger of it coming into contact with parvo virus which if contracted can kill it very quickly.

With a puppy of around 8+ weeks, it will need to be taken out roughly every couple of hours during the waking day.  After every nap, immediately (it wil be the first thing it thinks about doing), every meal (depending on when it last went out) and short period of playing (when you'll see him break off and look 'vacant' - often circling).  And this schedule should be adhered to if you want the pup to understand what's needed re housetraining.  DO NOT USE PEE PADS.  This will only encourage the puppy to mess indoors, and eventually ANYWHERE indoors. 

Overnight - provided the pup is sleeping, it should only need to go outside once, say around 3 am if you go to bed around 11 pm.   I urge you to use a crate and have it up with you, alongside your bed.  And try to anticipate the puppy needing to go out during the night so he doesn't get the impression that he cries, you come.

Puppies have small bladders and it may be you'll have to be prepared to take him out more often until he learns how to hold.   

When he empties outside, give him a ton of praise.   If he doesn't go immediately don't keep him out there for much over 5 minutes or he'll move on to finding loads of other interesting things to do.  Bring him back in but keep him in the room by the outside door and be with him.   If he starts to squat/circle, say No and get him back outside.   Using a crate may help as he may quickly learn to hold, knowing you will be letting him out frequently.   Correct only in the act.   Clean up mistakes (keep a thick towel to hand as there will be mistakes) without comment.   He'll be watching and noting your body-language.

Having a BM and when would be affected by the number of meals given, and when.  Digestion in the dog usually takes around 4 hours.   He should be having a BM as many times as the number of meals he's having.

If this sounds like a lot of work - it is!!   But the more consistent and persistent you are, the sooner your pup will be clean indoors.

Then don't get one. EDUCATE yourself on how to housebreak a puppy FIRST or better - adopt an adult, housebroken dog. As clueless as you sound, though, I doubt any shelter would adopt to you.

• math2 months agoReport

*** you piece of shiit

Usually, you can go by the "month rule:" for however many months they are, they can hold it for that long, so 2 months, 2 hours, 3 months, 3 hours, etc., but this isn't set in stone. By about 3-4 months, most puppies can hold it through the night, but sometimes, they do need a potty break in the middle of the night. If you notice that your puppy drinks a lot at night, curb it. I have to take away my dog's water no later than 7:30pm (before people freak out, we go to sleep at 8-8:30pm) or he's up within 2-4 hours peeing away.

Also, once you start going to the door, you can urge them to go by simple commands. Once you see them going, say something like "release," or "pee-pees" or something like that, and they will start to associate that word with going and what you want them to do. With the repetition of you going to the door, saying "make piddles," and having them come back, they will get it. My puppy (he's 5 months) will go to the door and whether or not it's cold, raining, or I'm a hurry or something, I look at him say "make pee-pees" and he will within 5 minutes or so. If I don't care and the weather is ok, he can go in his own time and I just leave him outside (he's at that age now). 

With new puppies, it can take them a while to get used to the outside. Let him/her sniff and get a hang of their new place. It took my puppy about 20 minutes when we brought him home to do anything, but once he did, he would go back to that same spot and know he could pee/poo in the backyard (now he's not picky and will go everywhere). So patience is also key here. It may take a few tries to get them to go outside officially, because birds and other creatures may also be using your yard and your puppy won't be comfortable right away. My puppy still won't pee/poo on walks, for heaven's sake! 

Puppies are young, which means they need to go out often for potty breaks, exercise, and exposure to new things.

When my dogs were puppies, they typically had to go pee within the hour they drank water. However, when dogs are inactive, like sitting in the kennel or whatnot, it's not urgent to take them out unless its been a few hours.

Though, when settling down for the night, take them out, then avoid feeding them so much water when back inside the house, so that they can hold their bladder and just go to sleep. Just in case, keep some newspapers/pads laid out.

• Verulam 1

You could leave newspaper by the door BUT NO PADS!  Use a crate alongside your bed overnight.   That should avoid your puppy being upset finding himself all alone at night.

They have lots of sites you can consult, or ask a veterinarian.

• Verulam 1

I'd not involve a vet with this,unless they happen to HAVE A DOG FROM PUPPY!!  Most only know about how to dispense the right meds, and use a knife!!   Talk to the pup's reputable breeder!