Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 2 months ago

Is there any way I can get them to pay me for the day?

So at my job everyone works in teams of 2. If your partner doesn't come in, usually you just clean up the shop, take inventory, prep materials for the next day's jobs, and then go home. Well, I'm new and haven't been tought how to take inventory (they use an electronic system) or how to prep materials yet. Anyway, the guy I was supposed to work with called in sick so I was only there for 1 hour. It's not my fault the other guy was sick. I am not in a position to lose 7 hours' pay. I'm afraid if I say anything they'll let me go since I'm new. Do you think there's any way to get paid?

A position where I can afford to lose*

Well you better go to that guy's house, throw him in a burlap sack and drag his azz into work then.  He probably in the Bahamas right now sipping Pina Coladas on the beach.

You're paid for the time WORKING. If you were there for an hour, you get paid for an hour. They don't pay you to go home.

It depends on the state where you work. For example, in California, you would be entitled to pay for four hours, but lose the other four hours pay. In most states, you would lose the 7 hours pay.

Slim chance.

Working = pay

• Bill

join a union

if you front for work , it is the companies responsoiibility to find you work or pay you if they send you home

• Judy

No, not really. If you're in Calfornia they have something called reporting pay, and you'd be paid for half a day. A few other places have more limited reporting pay laws - see https://www.datamaticsinc.com/state-by-state-repor... Anywhere not listed, you get just the hour you worked.

• Scott

Most companies don't pay you for not working, other than sick days or scheduled time off.

I would have told my supervisor that I would appreciate all the hours I can get and inquire as to whether there was any other work I could do that day.   Maybe I could work with another team or learn something or organize something or clean something or ???   Maybe I wouldn't have missed out on seven hours.

You punched out and left.   Of course you're not going to be paid for the day. 

All employees get paid when they get paid. Not daily.

We used to pay people every 2 weeks on a friday. But the checks would usually come thursday so we handed them out thursday afternoon & night assuming they came in.

One time, they were late and did not get there until friday, the actual payday and a few people were mad. Like I control the post office.