Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Was I too harsh to this guy?

So I work at a port cleaning bathrooms and emptying trashes. A couple times a week the bums who collect cans to recycle steal the trash liners out of the public trash cans I empty. It's a pain in the *** because they take the bag out, and just dump all the trash back in the can. My boss was saying that those bags aren't cheap, and we are gonna start trespassing people we catch stealing them. So there is this homeless guy I see sometimes. Hes usually drunk. Hes supposedly a vet, and gets 1k a month, which I assume he spends on booze. One time be asked if he could have one of the trash bags from the role I had. I'm a nice guy, and wanted to help out, so I gave him one. I brought up that people had been stealing them. He said "not me man, I'm ain't no thief" well guess what? I saw him stealing one today. I told him to stop doing what hes doing, and leave. He asked were else is he suppose to get a bag. I said I dont care were, that's not my problem, and next time I see you doing that, I'm trespassing you. I'm a mellow guy, but it pissed me off that it was actually him stealing the bags. Especially the ones in the bathrooms when he rips the bags out it throws trash everywhere, and it just makes mess. Did I overreact?

Nah, you good man. 

i don't think you overreacted, but I generally think there's always a better way to convey things. You could have said "hey dude, I'm all to help you but you taking that bag makes my work more difficult. If you want a bag you can just ask"

Nope.  You didn’t overreact.  He’s totally in the wrong.

An overreaction would have been cursing at him, telling him he’s a drunken, lying, bum, chasing, striking or otherwise interfering with him physically.  THAT would have been overreacting.

I’m thinking the bags are likely not more than a few cents, maybe a quarter of a dollar each.  You could just give him one once a week.  Or buy him a roll of contractor bags for a few bucks and call it a day.  Or you could just trespass him, whatever that means.

People are where they are because of the choices they have made up to that point.

He is likely to continue to make crappy choices.

• Suzy Q

I was actually waiting for the point where you'd start screaming insults or even beating him up, because THAT would have been overreacting.

Your reaction was correct, proportional, and fair. You even let him off with a warning instead of reporting him for trespassing right away. 

• audrey

No. You were right. Those bags cost money.

• No. He's making your job harder for no reason. A roll of trash bags costs $10. If he needs them so bad, he can buy some of his own.