Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 7 months ago

Can I start and learn gymnastics at 23 to become an Olympic Gymast or is too old?

At the Olympics and World Championships, the competing gymnasts are overwhelmingly---if not all---under the age of 25.  Every single one of them has been training since kindergarten.  They've been training most of their lives, perfecting their craft.  Few can remember not training.

It is not possible for a novice to beat them.

I say it's way too old. Those athletes start learning that sport as early as age 5.

Gymnastics is such a particularly difficult athletic endeavor that  most gymnasts are trained as toddlers or sometimes even younger. Of course in countries as China children are selected practically as soon as they  can walk  and  the ones that are believed  to be gymnast material  are given very tough brutal  and oppressive training  so that by the time they are  14  perhaps younger they are able to compete  in the Olympics. 

This branches off into other things.  I have observed that male gymnasts can be as old as their early to mid 20s which is old for a gymnast. Female gymnasts tend to "age out" before they are 20. The female body typically  is not as capable of tolerating constant  top-level training and competition for as long a time as the male body.  

I once heard about a Russian or Romanian female gymnast who was in her mid 30s and qualified to compete among the teenagers. Of course she probably was particularly talented and maybe started practicing in her teens which is not early enough to start such training but  on occasion you might hear about a gymnast who  is  much older than most other gymnasts.   

I once heard about  a 40 year old  male gymnast who competed against the teen and twenty-something male gymnasts.

Of course gymnasts who are past the age of 19 are not in their prime to win. 

The general answer is that age 23  is  "too old" to begin training to become a  gymnast as far as competing in the Olympic or any serious championships or  other such competitions. 

If there are any low-level competitions such as competing for your  college or  just for  fun  that is another matter and I have heard of gymnastic classes for  middle aged persons  or seniors but it is for fun and  fitness .

Of course too, there is such a thing as the senior Olympics for people who are past the age of 60. Perhaps if you begin training at age 23   you might  be the best senior gymnast some 40 years from now.

But also  if you are very very determined  and train properly to avoid injuries but still  develop utmost  strength and agility , there is a possibility  you could become an Olympic level gymnast four or eight years from now. 

I don't know if there are  coaches that would seriously consider training a  23 year old  to compete in the Olympics. 

Good luck.

Yes,You Can Start At Any Age.

• jobees

More then likely too old.  Slim chance.  

Yes you can do it there is people over 40+ wrecking the younger .

Hard work and strong will power will get you long aim big!

• Bob

It's possible-much like it's possible to go from having under $10 to being a billionaire in one year-if you live in the US, but very unlikely 

Maybe...........

Too old for Olympics

You're only as old as you feel, plus age is just a number. I started training at age 75, and teams all over the world have been competing for my interest and consent to join.

• jobees

that  master games not Olympics