Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

if electrons are point singularities with mass, shouldn't they be microscopic black holes?

what would be the size of an electron's event horizon? how much energy is needed to squeeze two electrons together so they combine to form a larger black hole?

Update:

@caroloklanola: sorry but bosons and mesons are made of quarks. leptons, which includes electrons, are made of nothing smaller.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A black hole *is* a black hole because there's a mass, and the escape velocity from it's surface meets or exceeds that of the speed of light. An electron wouldn't qualify. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Short answer no. Longer answer: maybe, but mostly no.

• 2 months ago

LOL,,it doesn't work that way. Atoms and their sub atomic particles are electrically bound, not gravitationally.

Electrons are not any point, they follow the 4 diminutions of our physical universe.

Quarks are believed to be much smaller

• Jon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They would be, if the universe were governed by classical physics instead of quantum physics. But it isn't.

• daniel g
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Quantum physics,,a fancy name for physics.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Electrons can't be mini black holes.

Their event horizon radius would be much smaller than one plank length, which is not possible.

They would evaporate by Hawking radiation very fast.

No double electron has ever been seen.

When you think about an electron's gravity, you need to combine quantum mechanics with general relativity, but nobody knows how to do that.

• 2 months ago

Electrons are NOT point singularities with mass. Electrons are primary particles that DO have rest mass. Thet are NOT point singularities or micro black holes False premise. Your facts are uncoordinated.

https://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_gp_tp.html.  

You are correct, that is why I edited my answer after doing a Google search. Bait and fish questions ehen you start off with false fact and you ask a a Provoking "I dare you to anser this,question" are very close to ToX violations

I refuse to report such questions because they are legitimate knowledge seeking questions. And now,we are entirely off topic. Electrons are primary particles with rest mass, NOT point singularities. 

Electrons have SIZE. 0.1 nanometer. They have volume. They are NOT points with zero volume.  

http://www.astronoo.com/en/articles/size-of-atoms....   

• 2 months ago

Electrons are governed by quantum physics. Black holes are a gravity thing, and we don't have any formulas for combining quantum physics and gravity.

• 2 months ago

Electrons are too big to be considered singularities

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.