What is this?

I posted this once and I got an answer (coral or something that lives on top coral) but I’ve searched and can’t find anything in coral family that looks like it. Someone said stalactites but again... I got this from my lapidary instructor years ago so asked and he said “the fossil of the first organisms that made oxygen but it doesn’t look like stromatolite fossils either.

Does anyone know for sure? To me it looks like the center of a head of cauliflower!

The surface is covered in a shiny layer of agate or quartz 

It looks like a concretion but Yahoo won't allow the uploading of a high def picture that would allow us to see it better.  It could be some sort of coral but I cannot see the surface well enough to decide. A coral would have little tiny indentations all across the surface. the indentations are the "homes" of each of the many life forms that make coral structures.  They make colonies.

• Retief

Take it to your local university geology department and ask them.

It is most like a concretion. Is there a college or other school that has a geology department? If so take to them and ask. 

• busterwasmycat

You can take your chances that someone will be available or you can call in advance and see if someone would be willing to give you two minutes of their time.  A grad student could probably give you an answer, if you can find one.

• Can't tell for sure, but it might even be artificial. Maybe break it in half

• Denise2 months agoReport

Definitely not artificial. If it would let me show different angles, on the bottom you can see where it attached to the rock (or whatever it was attached to) in multiple places just like stems. That’s why I thought it looked just like fossilized cauliflower

Fossilized cauliflower.