Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 months ago

how can I go about making butter in my own home?

If I want to save money and churn my own butter. 

What can I do to create my own butter?

It is quite a necessity for me. Thank you very much buttery.

You can dosoabsolutely but be careful of Hygiene 

Just whip cream until it breaks then you have butter. Also After you whip your butter, get ice cold water and pour it into the butter and squeeze until the buttermilk comes out.

• Mintee

get a really strong blender, slap some liquid whipping cream or heavy cream in it, and blend away.. 

Well, you start with heavy whipping cream, and agitate it with a modern appliance until it becomes butter and buttermilk (as a kid, I used a Daisy Churn, but they are rare now). Here's an article saying you can use a food processor, blender, mixer or bread machine to churn your butter:

• Laurie

All you need is a jar with a lid, heavy cream, and a bit of salt. Shake until a solid mass forms - this mass is the butter. This ill take a long time.

Drain overnight using a sieve, allowing liquid to drain into a bowl, in the refrigerator (occasionally rearrange mass in sieve). Discard liquid (buttermilk) or use for another purpose. Store butter in covered container in refrigerator.

You will not save money. 

You need cream, whip or churn the cream and you will get butter.

Once you have globs of butter you need to press out any excess water. 

With the cost of the cream and what you will loose with the excess moisture you will not save money. 

You won't save money making your own butter unless you can get a lot of milk or cream for free or much cheaper than you can buy it in a store. If you make butter from a quart of whipping cream, you'll get an amount of butter that would cost about the same in a store as a quart of whipping cream. If you find whipping cream on sale, that would end up a little cheaper, but not much. If you want to know how to make butter, all you have to do is google 'how to make butter'.

Find yourself a better hobby. Go volunteer.  Help people.  You sound ridiculous.

• Mark

That won't save you more money.  CREAM is substantially more expensive than whole milk, and you need cream to make butter.

Edit:  How is it that I have lived in or near a city my ENTIRE life, and know how to make butter, and YOU, "the frugal person" doesn't? Oh, and don't forget, the salt and the carrots.  Much better if you buy butter, let it soften, whip it, then pack it back in containers.  That way, it will be easier to spread cold (unless you like ripped-up bread), you'll use much less (unless you LIKE a half-inch of solid butter on things and the cholesterol that goes with it).  That's like saying "I want to save money by sewing all my own clothes (take it from my cousins:   you spend WAY more money buying the fabric and patterns and in time, as opposed to buying things off the rack, and I have yet to see a nice pair of homemade underwear.)