Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Why is CVT transmission considered bad by many?

I just bought a 2020 Toyota Corolla and it has a CVT transmission.

So far it is working very well. Couldn't be better. 

On SOME brands of cars, they've had problems, but Toyota seems to have it all figured out. My Prius has over 100,000 miles on now, and it's working great. I changed the trans oil at 60K.

The Constant Velocity Transmission is relatively new. There's no gears! I like the trans, too. Great pep. Very good mileage. Some like a hard shift. And for a truck, that's good. The CVT is not to be used with a V8 or even a V6. However a four cylender, it works fine. Today's four cylenders are as good as V8's were in the '60's through the '80's. My Sentra had 175 hp & it's very fast.

• F

When you accelerate hard or going uphill, the engine races away at silly revs but you hardly move. Eventually the wheels catch up with the engine and cruising is fine, but surely the demented revvving cannot do the engine any good.

Didn't have mine long enough to encounter relaibility issues.

Because of the high rate of failure manufactures have been having with them.

Every Asian car company has been giving their customers an extended warranty to replace the bad CVT transmissions so it's not just hearsay that they fail.Go to the dealer at 60,000 miles to have the transmission ATF changed. That way you will have records for the factory to see that you've been doing the maintenance which will help you get warranty on the tranny when it fails.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • CB

The only issue I have heard with CVT is with high horsepower engine. My wife had a V-6 3.5l  Murano and it went 125k (before selling) with no tranny issues. Nissan warranted it for 100K. 

Bottom line - no issues - don't worry. 

Mostly because it's something new and different. Costly to repair.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

Many things the unenlightened might consider "new" were tried before, on aircraft or something, with varying success. Internet invented in '60's, but only available for military, then.

• Dimo

Change is bad.  Change for the better is bad.  People do not like change.

People do not like what they don't know.  The gear heads do not like gearless.

My first CVT was on my Vespa motor-scooter.  Rented one, riding, accelerated to 40, backed a bit, the motor purred at a steady RPM, and the scoot was still accelerating.  With a CVT the speed of the engine does NOT match road speed.   THAT is the BIG problem with CVT.  The CVT is weird, different, hence it is bad.

Truth -- the CVT will last a minimum of 100,000 miles.  It gives considerable better fuel mileage.  Enough better so even when it will need a new belt will have saved enough in fuel to cover it.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

Auto trannies actually invented 1904. Patented  1923.  First that resembled our modern ones,, 1934.  Just  takes a While for Anything  to be perfected and catch on.

• Ron

Because, ya twatwaffle, it's brand new. Wait until the warranty is up 

The belts stretch and this causes gear changing problems (although there are no cogs in the traditional sense). 

I have a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder, bought new. My CVT works just fine. It really helps with quick acceleration.

• Dan
      1 month agoReport

Wrong again Anon, reverse drill bits do exist. They are one of Snap On's hottest sellers. They are perfect for drilling out broken bolts because they don't make the end tighter in the hole.