Anonymous

Do people today still think $100K is a high salary?

Maybe 10 or so years ago, $100K was a lot, but today, I think it should be the minimum salary people should be making just to pay for rent and food. Anything lower than that is poverty, in my opinion. If you want to get married and have children, then you need to make a lot more than that. In this day and age, $100K is nothing due to the high prices out there, especially if you want to live in NY. So do people really still think $100K is a good, high salary?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Cathy
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That is  not high at all.   My welfare benefits and section 8 housing is much higher than  $100.000 Federal Reserve Notes

• 8 months ago

A single person could live well on $100,000, even in an area where the cost of living is high. 

Half the household incomes in the U.S. are less than $62,000 so you are doing okay if you make $100,000.

• 8 months ago

That isn't high in any way.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Are you being sarcastic?!

In 30 years time, one apple will cost about 5 dollars. 

5 dollars zapped just to put sugar in your blood for the day.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

On the west or east coast it's not enough.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Because $100K IS a high salary, in fact anything ABOVE $25K is a high salary.

• 8 months ago

I don't and I'm not aware of anyone who would think it is. It is a good salary but the word "high" to me would be well in excess of $250,000 annually.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

"I think it should be the minimum salary people should be making just to pay for rent and food."

You think minimum wage should be $48/hour?  Interesting. 

Enjoy paying $75 for your Big Mac or Starbucks latte.  There will ALWAYS be a bottom rung on the economic ladder whether the minimum wage is $12/hour or $48/hour. 

• 8 months ago

I live about 2-3 hours from SF and that kind of income would be very good to live a rather comfortable life style. According to the Census.gov page, the median income in my area is around $50k/year.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

$100K as a household income is in the 70%ile. That is earns more than 70% of the households in the USA. The median individual income is only about $36K and I think most households have more than one income.

That's one reason people have fewer children.

In NYC and LA, $100K is not a lot in salary. In most of the country it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.