Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesGMC · 3 months ago

Can I add cruise control to a 1998 GMC Sonoma SL? ?

I am not mechanically inclined at all. So please be understanding. 

I bought a old 98 Sonoma and it doesn't have cruise control. Price was to good to pass up if you're wondering why I would buy it.

Anyways, I take a lot of long drives and cruise control really helps a lot with gas. I have been trying to figure out by just googling it. But their isn't a lot of info on Sonomas. I found stuff on Chevy S10s which is similar to the Sonoma, that say that if you just get a turn signal with the cruise control on it you can install that and it should work. Since most base models have the capability they just don't have it activated or something similar to thi. Is this true?

How much would this cost? Would I have to go to the dealer or could I just find a local shop? DYS is a obvious no go. Thanks for any info you can give. 

There are a lot of parts and wiring needed, and they are NOT installed and simply not activated. This would be quite expensive.

Yes, you usually can. It probably won't be cheap.

• Ron

The cost will be likely more than what your truck is worth.  And it will be a waste of money when the transmission is broken and you have to junk the truck.

The best thing is to find one with cruise control and sell your current truck.

• Ian K

If you want better gas mileage, cruise control isn't going to help...  But you need to learn your vehicle and how to drive more efficiently.