Robby asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 8 months ago

What is gravity? How does gravity work. Please, don't reply with simple answers. I know what gravity does. But science can't explain it.?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It is not quite figured out yet, but getting a lot of attention.

What is we could remove or reduce gravity, that would be a game-changer!!!!

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Maybe Tyson might have an explanation on it.   He is the space geek. on You tube on his series "Cosmos".

• 8 months ago

General relativity says gravity is a curvature of space-time. Space and time get intermingled. As you move in time toward the future, you also move thru space.

If you are asking why we move thru time to the future or why matter curves space-time, nobody knows.

• goring
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Gravity is relative to the massive fluid of space which is Power locked in space as a force. This can only work if the containment of universe is restrained on its circumference curvature.This is the cause of all motion and spins in the Universe.

Nothing is at rest; the Universe is in a constant state of Spin.

Motion is measured as "Time". Hence Time is relative to the constraints on the Universe.

The Biblical record of Creation indicates that Space is a fluid  Structure that contain all celestial bodies.Hence the Universe is a conservative system where Time, mass and volume obey the laws of conservation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • neb
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Ok, you get the non-simple answer ... I’m doing this somewhat facetiously, but we know a LOT about gravity. Too many people don’t seem to understand this.

These are the Einstein’s field equations:

Rᵤᵥ - 1/2Rgᵤᵥ + ⋀gᵤᵥ = 8πG/c⁴Tᵤᵥ where u,v are permutations of 0,1,2,3. This results in 16 interdependent equations, of which 10 are unique due to symmetries.

Here are the descriptions of the terms:

Tᵤᵥ are the components of the stress-energy tensor. The stress-energy tensor is the source of ‘curvature’ of spacetime. Each component of the stress-energy tensor is a component of the 4-momentum across one of the 4 constant coordinate surfaces in spacetime

8πG/c⁴ are a set of constants for unit conversion and to match up general relativity gravity with a Newton gravity. The stress-energy components don’t look like Newton’s ‘mass’.

Rᵤᵥ is a ghastly complex mathematical object called the Ricci tensor. It defines the constraints on curvature in general relativity. It defines a curvature that results from volume reduction of space with no distortion of space when mass/energy is present and volume preservation but distortion of space when mass/energy is remote (vacuum solutions which most black holes are)

1/2Rgᵤᵥ (Ricci scalar, R, times the metric tensor gᵤᵥ) is a term that Einstein belatedly added to balance curvature with local energy conservation of Tᵤᵥ (covariant divergence of stress-energy tensor, ∇ᵤTᵘᵛ =  0 )

gᵤᵥ are the components of the metric tensor - the actual solution of the field equations (the Rᵤᵥ are actually complex 2nd order differential equations in the gᵤᵥ). Once you know the gᵤᵥ, you can derive the geodesic equations, geodesic deviation equations, full Riemann curvature, and how space and time measurements are altered by the gravitational field.

⋀gᵤᵥ is the dreaded cosmological constant term Einstein so regretted. This term is now associated with dark energy.

So, gravity solutions (e.g. black hole solutions) are described in terms of the metric tensor in the following way (dxᵘ represent generalized coordinates since general relativity is coordinate system invariant)

ds² = gᵤᵥdxᵘdxᵛ

And there we go. Gravity in all of its complexity. And this really doesn’t scratch the surface. Not even close to describing everything we know.

• 8 months ago

Correct - So far, there is no definite explanation.

The "rubber sheet" model that keeps being used is not in any way an explanation.

It was thought up to try and explain how light could be affected by gravity if photons have no mass.

As photons do have equivalent mass proportional to their energy, (just no rest mass) they can be directly affected and that model is not needed.

All it ever did was move the "pull" to a different axis anyway...

A lot of things have been well explained by Science, but gravity is still one of the puzzles & unknowns.

That does not mean it never will be, just that it has not been explained so far.

• 8 months ago

THEORY: Gravity from my extensive studies, is a black hole but black without the hole or an extremely small hole. (Center core of Earth) This black hole increases its pull as objects gain mass. Look at the end of the life cycle of any planet or sun and you'll see the that the outcome can be that of a black hole. The larger the object the greater the chance of it becoming a black hole. So, our sun and its mass would allow us to traverse space by using it center non destructive black hole for space travel (worm hole) Earths Bermuda triangle? Portals that we need to understand for future space travel. Oh, I didn't mention. I have visions and dreams that lead me to these conclusions. Is this factual? I believe so.

But, who em I to say its actually fact...

• 8 months ago

No that is not what science does.  Fools think we know all the answers.  Scientists attempt to answer "what happens if..." ie we learn that altering mass alters the amount of gravitational force and increasing the distance decreases it.  No matter how far you go there will always be another layer of "why".  So you are asking a question that no one on earth has ever known an answer for. ( Nor ever will either for that matter). We have postulates that gravity might be a wave, a field, or particles. And are looking for evidence to support each model.

• reza
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Well, considering science literally gives us the explanation of gravity..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.