A “Certified Used Car Dealer” sold me a lemon ?

So I purchased a 2005 Ford Taurus from a guy who claimed he was a Certified Used car deAler. Stupid decision but I did. That very night as I was driving the car, the transmission went out. Is there anything legally I can do about it? Or am I just stuck with the car?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Check the laws where you live AND your contract but typically used cars are sold as is.  "Certified" is a meaningless term from a legal point of view.

• 10 months ago

No, he did NOT sell you a lemon.  A lemon has a legal definition and it does not apply to buying a used car.  Dealer or not, did you get a warranty - one that covers major issues, such as the transmission?  If you have no warranty, then it's your problem. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 10 months ago

No way can a 15 year-old car be a "Certified" used car. Real certified cars are only 2-4 years old, have been fully inspected and come with a short warranty and return policy -- and are sold by new car dealers who also sell the same brand of used cars.

• 10 months ago

"So I purchased a 2005 Ford Taurus" - I stopped reading right there. No lemon law, anywhere, would provide you magical "walk away" coverage on this vehicle. 

Being a "Certified Used Car Dealer" means nothing. He pays his annual dues, keeps in line with the state's requirements, and is licensed. That's it. Being certified by a manufacturer is a totally different game altogether. 

Did you sign anything stating you had a warranty? Or a return period? Anything like that? If not, you can go back and ask for help from him, but no law forces him to either take the car back or provide the fix. I wouldn't go in "guns blazing", either, or he'll probably just tell you to take a hike. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Sounds like the guy tricked you with the subtle difference between a "certified used car" and a "certified used car dealer"

A certified used car is a lightly used vehicle, usually not more than 3-5 years old, that has undergone a thorough inspection by the original manufacturer and often comes with a warranty (either the remainder of the original warranty or an extended warranty).

But there is no such thing as a "certified used car" that's 14 years old. No manufacturer would ever put their "certified" label on a 14 year old vehicle, even if it was in perfect condition.

So it sounds like this guy used tricky language to confuse his customers. The term "certified used car dealer" is meaningless. Who certified him? What is he certified for? it sort of implies that he only sells certified used cars, but really it just means that he as a dealer is certified. Obviously if he's selling 14 year old vehicles then he isn't selling exclusively "certified used cars"

And any dealer that has the proper business licenses to sell used cars is "certified" by the state.

So it sounds like the guy just uses tricky but meaningless language in the name of his dealership.

As for the car, it was most likely sold as-is, which means you're stuck. You could check if your state has lemon laws or cooling off period that might give you a return period, sometimes that's as little as 24 hours so act quickly. But those usually don't apply to a 14 year old car.

Also read all your paperwork to see if the shop has any kind of guarantee or return period.

But most likely, you're out of luck.

• 10 months ago

If he claimed to be something he is not, you can sue him for fraud.

• 10 months ago

Anyone is a "Certified Car Dealer" if they have a license to sell cars in your State.

If you bought the used vehicle "as is" you're screwed.

most people ask if there is a warranty on a vehicle when buying it. What did you do? Forget to ask/!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

nope. if you bought it "as is" then all repairs on you. court won't help you out on this one

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

'Caveat Emptor' applies. It was incumbent upon you to examine and road test the car to your satisfaction prior to purchase. He didn't sell you a lemon, you bought one.

• 10 months ago

Write a formal request for either a transmission or a refund .Send it certified with a receipt . If they are ignored , sue in small clams . A transmission for a Taurus is what $ 1,500 ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.