Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

Why does sudden cold weather give false TPMS warning light?

On the very first day that the temp falls below 30 degrees,  TPMS light comes on.

I checked air pressure with gauge. They were all at least 35 PSI. 

The tire appearance looked normal too.

Took it to dealer and they said they reset the TPMS light.

And this happens every year. Time and energy gets wasted going to dealer.

Just curious why is false light shown in sudden drop of temps in cold? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Since you know what it is, you know how to deal with it. Yeah, pressure goes down with temperature. The light will come on when pressure is low, too high or different between the tires. Driving will bring up the temperature of the tire a bit. Don't forget to check the full size spare, if your car has one. Another thing that can put the light on is sensor battery condition. Cold affects battery voltage too. Each sensor has a battery. The battery condition of each sensor can be checked with a Bartec computer, telling you if they're good, weak or dead.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

It is called a false reading.   Yes the TPMS is a waste of time and is something that should make life easier but does not.

• 8 months ago

What's the year of the vehicle?

The tire sensors have batteries in them and they may be old and weak and need replacing.

I'd put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and just check your tire pressures once a month since you have a tire gauge and know how to use it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 8 months ago

Cold air contracts, so the pressure drops. Hot air expands, so the pressure rises.  Looks like your monitoring system is a touch over-sensitive.  Personally I think they're a waste of time, I prefer to check with a proper pressure gauge.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Because the PSI lowers when it gets colder. Tires filled with nitrogen dont do it as much. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.