Is there such a thing as a LAPTOP without a battery? Something you just plug into the wall?

I never take my laptop out of my house. And right next to where I work is a plug socket. I don't need it to be battery powered. 

Favorite Answer

of course, there is some laptops that you can remove the battery. I think the Lenovo Thinkpad T series. But, almost of all laptops nowadays make the battery inside, like current smartphones, and there is no way to do that.

• canadacraig
      1 month agoReport

Yes. That's the impression I have. 

i don't see the problem, just keep it plugged in

If your laptop stays plugged in you can remove the battery and it will still work, But if the power goes out you will lose anything that you were working on, and it can mess up windows by it not shutting down right.

It's called a desktop PC.

• canadacraig

Yet another smartass answer. 

• keerok

All laptops come with a battery. That's part of the design. Old ones have batteries that died out and because you can't find a replacement, you'd have to keep them plugged to the wall to use.

All laptops can be plugged into the wall.  If the power goes out that battery would come in handy.

• opurt

No, because one of the defining features of a laptop is that it includes a battery so that it can be powered anywhere. I suppose if you have a laptop with a removable battery then you can just take the battery out. They don't design or ship them that way though.

They used to make so-called "portable computers" that didn't include batteries, but these were closer to being desktop computers with a built-in screen and a handle on them than what we'd consider a laptop these days.

• canadacraig

A great answer! Thanks. 

not really. there are all in one devices [look like a thick monitor] which approximate the same thing.

• canadacraig

Thanks for the answer. 

Some day you might need it, say the power went off for two minutes what would you do.

• Fuhr

Yes, it's called a desktop.