Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 8 months ago

Low income housing in Portland ? PLEASE HELP?

I’m looking to move in about 4-8mnths

Im single I have a baby and I don’t make a lot at all . 

What are some low income places that I can apply for now ? It’s okay if they have s waiting list . Section 8 and HUD told me to pretty much not bother with them because the wait is years . I heard there’s apartments that base the rent off of your income ?! Or if you know of any programs please let me know ! 

7 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    Go home / stay home with your parents. Society should not have to support you.

  • 8 months ago

    You heard from where? Who told yo that there are apartments that base the rent off your income? That's a complete fabrication. The only program I know of is qualifying for section 8. The waiting lists are generally 3 - 13 years, depending on where you want to live. You are expected to live within your means. Try it!

  • 8 months ago

    how about finding a roommate and splitting expenses?  4 people can be in a 1 bedroom, not like you need privacy to procreate more since you can't afford a kid.

    babies can sleep in the bedroom, parents on couches.

    you say its okay for a wait get on the wait list if its open, and wait 10 years (and don't have another baby you can't support).

    CHILD SUPPORT can help pay rent.

    you could possibly get 2 roommates with babies they can't support...and a 2 bedroom apartment.

    even with other low income housing, likely will still have the same issue, hundreds of deadbeats applying for every unit.

  • 8 months ago

    No housing assistance is fast. You may not get anything with in a few months.  Be advised that most of those have waiting lists too. It may not be as long as Section 8 though.

    If you are referring to Portland, Oregon:  There are a lot of income based apartments around Portland & the suburbs.  I managed one in Hillsboro a few years ago.  The local DHS office should be able to give you a list.  You can also call 2-1-1 and they should have a list as well.   The management company I used to work for manages several low income properties around the Portland area.  You could try calling them directly. The corporate office is out in Sherwood.  It is Infinity real estate group.  The one I used to manage is Amberwood and it is on Maple street in Hillsboro.

    You do not need to be a resident of Oregon or even that county to apply for low income properties.  Low income properties are not through section 8 or HUD. They are completely separate and you have to apply at each individual property.  HUD sets the guidelines but that is it. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    There might be something in Portland that's state or county based, but you can't apply when you don't live there yet.  You have to be a resident of the state.   If you have a relative there who'd let you stay until you have a job and legal address, that might work.  Otherwise, your plan doesn't sound very well thought out.

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    You can rent a place with another single mother and split the expenses.

    Do you get child support ?

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    You do know there's a Portland in more than one state? where are you? Those income-based apartments are the ones subsidized through Section 8 and HUD. Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.