Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 8 months ago

Can I Lease a Car without a job?

Hi, I’m am international student recently graduated from college, and applying for a job, it may take months or half year to get hired. However, I want to lease a car right away, I’m planning to lease a BMW X5 about 60k, my credit score on credit karma is 714 now, and my family will cover the monthly payment and costs before I find a job, I’m wondering what’s the chance I can get approved by the bmw dealer for the leasing? Really appreciate your explanations!

Your first hurdle is getting your visa redone so you are eligible to take a job. With out some form of "naturalization" or valid work Visa I honestly don't think any banking institution would consider you a good risk. You just happen to fit into a group of people that the immigration system has targeted.

Secondly with out an "income" there is no way to qualify for a lease.

Thirdly leasing a BMW X5 is a poor financial move! The deprecation on a X5 the first year is 20,000 dollars. On a five year lease that is 43,000 dollars. There are a lot of nice used cars out there in the 20,000 dollar range. If your family is going to make sure the "lease" is paid- just buy a 20,000 dollar used car to start with. The way a lease works is you finance depreciation (for five years 43,000 dollars) add in interest (11,000 dollars) and make payments. So that BMW if leased will have a total cost of 54,000 dollars. At the end of five years, you turn the car in and have nothing to show for it. Not even a trade in, just a empty parking stall.

Not without a cosigner you can't. 

Sure. And you never have to pay for it either. SMH

You could possible finance a modest car on a new grad program, but leasing without a job is NOT happening. And you do not need a $60k car.

• Niko

No. You need to prove you can make the payments. 

• Scott

Between zero and none. Your family isn't applying to lease the car, you are. You have no income. It's not going to happen.

You have expensive taste...way too expensive for one starting out.  No chance you will get approved.  Consider taking over a lease of a practical vehicle.  Visit www.swapalease.com or www.leasetrader.com.  Millions of people are trying to get out of leases.  It is the most expensive way to acquire a vehicle.

• Jay P

You alone applying = somewhere between not a chance in hell and 0.00% chance.

If you have a co-signor with very good or better credit rating, and a good income, your chances improve.

If you're that rich, why not just outright buy the car yourself?

• Peter

In my country, depending on your age, it would be pretty easy, I don't know about your country.

Btw, I went to some local dealers, many of them just lured me to apply, since I know each inquiry will affect my credit score, so I haven’t apply at dealership yet.