Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Starting baby on solids.?

I’m thinking of starting my 3 month old daughter on rice cerial. Has anyone started 1 month earlier?

I don’t know if she needs it but I feel like just trying some rice farex with formula and will make it runny.

No bad or rude comments!

There are no positives at all to starting solids early.

Rice cereal is essentially empty calories which will subtract from the nutrition of the formula rather than add anything beneficial.

• LizB

Unless her doctor has recommended a small amount by spoon to try to address reflux, there is absolutely no need to introduce rice cereal this early. It's basically baby junk food, not to mention putting it in the bottle is a choking hazard. Just wait until 6 months (or until baby shows definite signs of food readiness), and start with fruits and veggies. Baby cereal isn't necessary at all.

• Pippin

You give no reason for believing that she *needs* solids (or they would even benefit er) 3 months before the minimum age for the vast majority of babies.

If she is hungry, offer more formula.  (And if you need to make it 'runny' that means she is NOT ready.  Babies who are ready for solids can eat solids -- they don't need to drink them.)

• Tri-Harder
      1 month agoReport

Excellent point.  If you need to make it runny, that means their gag reflex isn't developed enough for solids yet.

That's THREE months early, not one.  And unless the doctor recommends it for a specific issue, it's never a good idea.  Rice cereal is also not medically recommended anymore.  It's bulky, has no nutritional value, causes blood sugar spikes and dips, and disrupts sleep cycles. 

No, you should not start solids just because you "feel like" it.  Early solids are linked to several issues. The most obvious is the choking hazard.  A three month old is built for liquids only.   Even making it "runny," it's still thicker than what her system can currently handle.  It impacts the absorption of her necessary nutrients from formula/breast milk as well.  Early solids has been linked to obesity, allergies, eczema, etc.   It may even be linked to diabetes and celiac disease.  

Bottom line, no early solids unless there's a specific medical reason.  And those reasons are very few and very far between.

• Tri-Harder
      1 month agoReport

Also, you mentioned in another question thread that the rice cereal box says four months, which means you don't know the difference between the manufacturer trying to sell their product and actual medical guidelines.  

I started my baby on solids at 2 and half months. He was okay, you could try it out and see how she goes. 

• Suzy Q
      1 month agoReport

I seriously wonder if the high percentage of women who have PCOS has to do with the early introduction of solids.