Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

How many months do they give you to make a car payment before they tow away your car?

Im already TWO months behind on my car payment but desperately need a new phone. I won't be able to do both so I'm thinking about getting the phone now and waiting another week on my car payment. I'll get paid again the 20th and I'm getting a couple hundred dollars for Christmas so I'll be able to catch up on the late payments by then. I DESPERATELY need a phone because the one I'm using now is junk and isnt working right now. There's no other phone I can borrow in the meantime. Could I wait until the 20th to make a payment? How long do they usually give you until they start towing away your car for late payments?

Calk the finance department and explain when you can make a payment, most will work with you but don’t mention a stupid phone, anyone can live without a phone, so can you 

Phone I can live without.  In fact when my phone plan died 6 years ago, I never renewed and got no problems.

. If you want to keep the car, you get caught up on the payments pronto.  It is a wonder they waited this long.  

Fujk the phone.  You will be paying penalty on the car...or they tow it away and you start again on the payment like you never put down a cent.  Read your agreement.  It is spelled out there.

We functioned BEFORE WITHOUT A PHONE,  we can do it again.  Wasting money paying a penalty is JUST NOT WORTH IT.    You could have bought beer and a hooker.

Every lender is different in how they decide to repossess a vehicle. Laws are different in every state. My guess is that if you are already 2 months behind, your repo is being scheduled right now. You need to be talking to your lender NOW because if your vehicle is repossessed, it is often impossible to get the vehicle back once the repo process has begun. Of course, your credit is damaged even more than it already is due to your missed payments. 

You are about to lose your car - your credit rating is probably destroyed already.

There is no set limit.

Buy here pay here often charge weekly so they tend to repo sooner.

With bigger lenders, it depends on you, your past payment history and your communication with them.

Ignoring them hurts.

Id start to get worried about 60 days if not 45.

Id go without a phone rather than risk my car being picked up. You're looking at a $300-500 repo fee+ storage and all back payments then.

• David

Not to mention huge black marks on their credit rating.

Call them. Your best decision will be to communicate with the loan company. No company really wants to go through the hassle of repossessing your car. Then they have to auction it off, and come after you for the difference. If you call them and explain the situation, they might be more understanding. Everyone goes through hardship, but how will they know if you don't tell them? They more than will work with you. BTW, most companies don't repossess until you're 3 months late.

• David

Frankly, I'd be a LOT more concerned about losing your car than replacing your phone.

I'm sure the finance company can give you an accurate answer.😉

Source(s): Common sense

It would probably be a really good idea to call your lender and inform them of when you will make a payment. Most people make the mistake of not doing this. When they don't hear from you they assume the worst and will hire a recovery company to repossess the car. You're probably really close to that happening now so give them a call.

Source(s): I've watched a bunch of videos produced by people that do recoveries for banks and other lenders and this is a very common theme.
  • Dze

depends on the load they got at the moment ive seen people lose them in less than a month .. if your 2 months out it will likely be gone at any time ...