Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 8 months ago

does recycling bottles really help the environment?

I recycle bottles all the time but is it really helping the environment? I wanna know my efforts are well endowed.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I know for a fact where I live the recycling goes to the landfill

• 8 months ago

It depends.

Recycling a bottle saves energy.  It also prevents it ending up in landfill, in the ocean or being incinerated. 

However, the first question you should be asking yourself should be is, should I be using a single use bottle, if there is an alternative? 

• 8 months ago

Yes locally in your city it does

• 8 months ago

In theory yes but if the plastic is contaminated by filth the whole batch is thrown into landfills.

I don’t know the exact % but a lot of plastic is not recycled due to contamination. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

yes, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing it

• 8 months ago

Yes, although not as much (measured by weight) as recycling aluminum. However, every bit helps.

• 8 months ago

Your recycling bottles, along with everyone else, will help the environment Unfortunately, with everything else that goes on it's like peeing on a forest fire to put it out.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

GLASS bottles, yes.  Plastic bottles, not so much.

• David
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes, indeed it does and thank you for contributions.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

glass is a lot easier to recycle than plastic. keep up the good work. on the episode of Adam Ruins Everything about recycling, he explains why the soda industry went from using glass bottles to tin cans. glass was much better. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.