Markus asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 months ago

Is it rude for a group to speak a different language in front of a one who doesn’t speak it? ?

This morning before I started work, I went into the office and there were only 3 coworkers there—who were all Latino. We have talked/joked for months in English but today when I walked into office they were all speaking English but soon started speaking Spanish. They all spoke in Spanish the whole time I was in there—For over thirty minutes— and then exited the office. They’re extremely fluent in English. So am I over reacting or was it very rude of them?  

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

As a Spanish speaker I certain think that they were rude however , I wonder if maybe they feel more comfortable when speaking Spanish . Is Spanish their first language or are they chicanos who speak Spanish as a second language? Now if they speak Spanish as a second language maybe they wanted to practice their Spanish skills .. either way , I think they were rude and shouldn’t have communicated in Spanish while you were there ...

• Its only Rude if youre a Guest

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Dear, brace yourself...They were talking about YOU.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Not at all....unless you are in their group. Why should they change their language to suit you?

This happened to me in OUR local pub in OUR country. I was chatting to my friends in our first language, Welsh, when an Englishman came up to us and TOLD us ( not asked) not to speak 'in that language' as his wife thought we were talking about her. I won't tell you the reply he recieved.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Seems to me that you have the problem.They probably would like to help you learn Spanish.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

As opposed to doing it behind your back?

As opposed to speaking it TO somebody who doesn't understand?

Different from what?

Freedom of speech was never meant to be restricted to (just that which can be said in) English.

You will be over reacting when you are dead

• Gregg
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

I think it's rude.  My wife has a very large family - brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins.  When we get together, they'll talk nonstop about family things or about the place they grew up and entirely forget about me.  They would ignore me when I try to introduce another topic.....

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Maybe they're plotting against you, and they didn't want you to know what they were planning.  

• 8 months ago

Maybe you could write them a heartfelt letter and tell them how you feel

• 8 months ago

Yes, it's very rude.  A lesson to be learned, "birds of a feather flock together".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.