Does it make sense to study math in college, just to be a math-tutor?

I love mathematics. However, I looked

on Indeed.com. Those positions 

require a 4-year degree and only pay 

a few dollars above minimum-wage plus 

benefits. 

That's a shame. Does it make sense to 

get into $50,000/debt by studying math, 

just to be a math-tutor? Your thoughts?!? 

Favorite Answer

A math tutor is not a job. It is just a part time hobby. It is not a career to earn a living.

If you like math, you should become a high school math teacher. That will be a career. If you want to get a math PhD, you could be a math college professor. That is another good career.

Well, I hate math so  I will ask Alexa for the answer.

The idea of the extra schooling is so you are smarter than the students.

Sell marijuana...in a legal store.  You need some accounting math and forecasting skills as to how far to expand and how quickly.   After a few puffs, the numbers get kind of hazy.

A good occupation for a math major is to be an actuary, calculating risk for insurers. Actuarial trainees earn $50K-$60K. After 5 years of experience, the salaries are typically $80k to $150K per year. Also note that you might make faster progress in actuarial science by majoring in statistics (rather than pure math).

Anyway, why be a "math tutor" ? A regular public-school math TEACHER makes a lot more than "minimum wage." But for salary you'll do better in industry.

• ted s

NO, ..but aim higher......math students are prized in business / industry

Most of the people who tutor on sites like that have full time jobs in the math field and do this in their spare time for extra income.  I have several degrees (including in the IT field as well as math) and have done this type of tutoring for extra income or once when I was laid up from a injury for several weeks, bored out of my skull and needed something to do.

I would not get a degree to be a tutor.  But if I have a degree and need extra income....

Not from a $ point of view.

Let's say you take 4 years to get your degree.  During that time while you may be able to work part time you will likely not be able to work full time but let's say you can work half time.

That's 20 hours a week you give up.  In WA state, min wage is $12/hr so that's $12,480.  4 hours = $50k.  Plus your tutition and board which I'm assuming is what you mean by $50k so that's $100k.

Let's say you can make $5 per hour more.  Not sure if full time work as a math tutor is feasible but we'll ignore that.  In a year, that's an additional $10k.  That's 10 years just to make up the cost to get your degree and that's not taking into account taxes on what would be self employed income, likely more like 15 years.

At least you have a direction, most people don't have a clue where they're going.

With the degree though, you also can do more.