Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Was it disrespectful that my employer did nothing for me on my last day of work, after working there for 4 years?

I'll start by saying that I worked at a pharmacy type store that sells supplements and herbs. It's a specialty store that really involves a lot of advising clients and spending a great deal of time with each person we work with.

I have a nursing degree, I'm a registered nurse and I got paid $10 per hour to work there and only after my 3rd year there did I get a raise to $11.25. For reference, Dunkin Donuts workers in my area get $14/hr, McDonalds workers get $12/hr and People who work at the deli at the local grocery store get $15/hr. So $11.25 is not a reasonable wage.

It was my job to advise customers about interactions of their supplements and herbs with pharmaceuticals. I'd have to search in the pharmacy database, research all of their questions and sometimes even email them after they left with more details. I was responsible for checking in all of the inventory, unloading large boxes, sometimes up to 14 boxes per day from UPS, USPS, FEDEX and small local suppliers. Unpack everything, check it into the system, add all new inventory, price everything and put it away. I'd do inventory, expiration checks, was responsible for cleaning the store at the beginning and end of the shift. I was also responsible for getting credits for all customer returns. I managed the social media and helped plan events including getting over $1500 of product donated bi annually for our sales event.

I never missed a single day of work in 4 years, I was respectful and the customers liked me. On

On my last day I simply got a card that said "good luck on your future endeavors" and it was signed by my co-workers. In the 4 years I've been there every person who's left has gotten a cake, a small gift that all staff contributed to and had their workspace decorated. I've contributed my money and participated in the send off of each of these people. Yet they did nothing for me, after I worked a $20/hr job for half the pay for 4 years, they didnt even get me a coffee or a small gift....

You got a degree and the 'extremely rewarding career' that degree enabled you to get pays less than Dunkin, McDonald's and grocery store employees?  Sounds about right.  Ah, the lies they tell you when applying to college.

Get over yourself. You were an EMPLOYEE not a friend or family member. When you leave, they get someone else in. This isn't a social event, the person is running a business.

• Who

I have no idea why you would think an employer has to do anything for somebody who's leaving

you didnt think you were paid enough? - so why did you stay there for 4 years?

• Frank

waa waa waa...YOU ARE DONE with THEM. Move ON.

• Ajay D

why did you work for half pay? It seems you have some defects in your personality.

No. The employer only owed you your stated pay.

Whose fault was it that you, with a nursing degree, stayed for four years in an underpaid, overworked position?

• P

Were you looking for a good bye party?  Yes, you were grossly underpaid for what you did, but by showing up every day for work you essentially accepted the wage and gave the owners quite a deal.   Like most employers they will assume they paid you for your work because you showed up every day and therefore owe you nothing.  Whoever normally was actually buying the cake and arranging for decorations was the person who neglected your party. You should have found a new job a long time ago.  

Who cares? You quit. Move on.

Yeah it's bad

Employers don't care

.