digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a text but I'm not sure it sounds natural for English speakers as I'm not a native speaker. Do I need to make any corrections? I would appreciate any answers.

In the wake of World War I, the laymen, monastery clergymen and priests from the town and county of Lodz led by priest Frank Nowak, marched to the newly built church (a two-storey building which also served as a meeting place for the nobility) of Bernardine Monastery on 30 July 1914 whilst the church bells rang and the cannons were fired, and held a solemn mass.

"In the wake of" means 'after', but World War I was just beginning in 1914 and Napoleon was no longer around. Do you mean 1814? Sorry, I don't know much about Polish history, but this passage is confusing.

• reme_1

Sentence is tooooo long. Choose town or county. The description of the church could be another sentence. The church bells ringing could be another sentence. Keep it simple.