Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 8 months ago

Is my mileage too high for my car ?

So, I bought a car last august and it was at 79,xxx miles. I have 94,000 miles on it now. Is this high in mileage? It’s a 2010 Ford Taurus.

Favorite Answer

I figure with 10 K per year of driving (and that is the low average use of a car) People usually drive to work and park it for 9 hours and then drive home and park it for the next day. So drive to & from work lets say 3 hours total and the car is parked for 21 hours.  Let's say your job is 10 miles away (1 way), so that is 20 m/d x 250 days of work/y=5000 m/y.  That is only if it is driven to work.

Now lets say you use it on the weekends TOO.

So, to the 250 we add 50 weeks x 2(=100+250=350(assuming 20 m Sat&20 m Sun) just to keep the math simple.

350 d x 20 m=7500 m so you see not even 10,000 mi.

My mom worked in a factory and shopped on weekends (sometimes) She took a YEAR to get 3000 miles on the car.

I myself have driven 100 miles on a Sunday and never left my cities boundaries.  Just drove down a lot of back alleys because it was a sunny day...and did not have anything else to do...but drive around.

You bought a car with lower than 10K per year on the odometer

You drive 30 miles per day.

Right now it has what is expected for that year of car.

It is NOT GOING TO GO BACKWARDS.

A shopper for a 2010 Taurus may find something with lower mileage on it, or maybe they all got higher.

. You are where you are.

Barely run in. Many Fords do over 500 000 miles

Today a common car will go deeo into the 200k range with routine care. I had an Escort go 352k before our winters here rusted it to death. I've heard most people make similar claims with all makes. Not like the ones I grew up with. I'm 71

Source(s): life as I know it
  • Hon, i have a 1997 Legacy Outback with 210k and it still Runs like a Top from Routine Maintenance & 3 Month Oil Changes

Average mileage per year is 12,000. For a 10 year old car it would be 120,000, so no.

Stop worrying.  It is your car now.  Just drive it until it dies.

• arther

So you've put 15 thousand miles on it in the last 5 months if its no giving trouble and your not selling it whats the point of the question it'll probably be rooted in 2 or 3 years at the rate your going factor that into your rate what ever do.

• Ian

It all depends on how well it is maintained. My first car accrued 270,000 miles when I finally bought a newer one. If you do the proper scheduled maintenance it will endure. But if it was neglected it would be a good idea to let it go and find something more reliable, otherwise high repair costs and issues await.

• Rick

should be able to go 200,000 miles WITH regular maintenance ............

• Adam

Rule of thumb: 10,000 miles a year is average.

The car is 9 years old, so 9 x 10,000 = ~90k.

Yes, it is average mileage.