Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Can you choose where to be in the RCMP? ?

I've wondered are you able to ever choose where you'd like to be? Maybe not even exactly where but at least top 5? Because I would love to live in Kelowna or Kamloops or even Salmon Arm but they are run by the RCMP so you can't just apply there so can you ever choose and say "hey I want to be in kelowna" if so policing seems like a very reasonable job for myself and I'll have to consider it. 

Favorite Answer

No. I believe that when you start out, the location you are stationed at is out of your control. As you gain more experience and rank up, you have more say in where you choose to work. My neighbour joined the RCMP a few years ago and is stationed hours away from his home. If you want to be a cop in a specific area, I recommend you join a city police department. The RCMP could send you anywhere they want whenever they want.

• 2 months agoReport

Ya that's really dumb the only thing is everywhere I want to be is run by the RCMP Kamloops Salmon Arm Kelowna Vernon, those are all the RCMP there is EPS so Edmonton but I don't won't to be there same with Regina and Calgary! 

You can request to be placed wherever you choose.  There are ALWAYS waiting lists.  You work your way up the list.

I doubt you can pass the entry exam, by the way.

• 2 months agoReport

And you were helpful with your previous response by the way, thanks for the input I'll have to actually constant the RCMP but saying you won't even pass isn't very helpful. 

You can request whatever you want. Until you have seniority, your requests don't have to be considered.

Wherever they keep the horses.